C5 starts and I will drive it for around half an hour. Shut it off for 10 to 15 minutes and exit the vehicle. With the door locked I unlock it and open the door. Immediately a clicking sound comes from the center of the dash and when I try to start the car the starter motor will not turn. Power is good, lights work. Etc. New battery new cables new starter everything tight and clean. Clicking from dash stops on 5 minutes. Eventually starts usually when AMA drives up. Any thoughts?

C5 starts and I will drive it for around half an hour. Shut it off for 10 to 15 minutes and exit the vehicle. With the door locked I unlock it and open the door. Immediately a clicking sound comes from the center of the dash and when I try to start the car the starter motor will not turn. Power is good, lights work. Etc. New battery new cables new starter everything tight and clean. Clicking from dash stops on 5 minutes. Eventually starts usually when AMA drives up. Any thoughts?

Welcome to CCF.

Generally good practice to say Hello in your Intro thread first. Pics always welcomed too.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
Second that about an introduction and some pictures plus how you got into corvettes. On here we all love the pics and the story. Back to your problem, it sounds like a relay might be the source of your clicking; it could be stuck contacts. I am not up on the C4 so maybe an expert can chime in with better information.

• Useful
Welcome to CCF.

Generally good practice to say Hello in your Intro thread first. Pics always welcomed too.
Hello Forum. Have a couple of classic cars, 1940 Chev Stylemaster 4 dr, 1947 Chev Aerosedan and a recently purchased (Sept 2018) C4 Corvette. Always wanted a Corvette and the price on this one was very reasonable. Could only drive it a few weeks but the problem started a month after I bought the vehicle. After I replace battery, cables and starter motor problem went away but did not have a good chance until yesterday to drive it in the warmer weather. After driving for about 30 minutes I stopped to do some shopping and when I returned to the car and unlocked the door the clicking started and I thought "it's not going to start" and it didn't. Can't hear the solenoid trying to engage when I turn the key but after waiting an hour it suddenly starts up. AMA was on its way. Cancelled AMA and tried driving home. Engine started motor boating just as I got close to home and car stalled and wouldn't start. This time it started after 20 minutes of trying and I made it home. Got home shut it off and would not start again. Thought I had fixed the problem. Just looking on the Forum to see if any one else has had the problem. Have to have a closer look at the ignition wiring and see how it is designed. Have brand new shop manual, not unwrapped that I home has the wiring diagrams I need. Pictures will follow.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
C5 starts and I will drive it for around half an hour. .......

Hello Forum. Have a couple of classic cars, 1940 Chev Stylemaster 4 dr, 1947 Chev Aerosedan and a recently purchased (Sept 2018) C4 Corvette.

Welcome to the forum. You might want to clarify whether your car is a C4 or a C5. Your first post indicated it's a C5. Big difference. Sorry. Can't help either way but try asking in the C4 (or C5 depending on what it is) section of the forum as well. For what it's worth, hooking up a code reader and checking for any codes may help you out too.

Hello Forum. Have a couple of classic cars, 1940 Chev Stylemaster 4 dr, 1947 Chev Aerosedan and a recently purchased (Sept 2018) C4 Corvette. Always wanted a Corvette and the price on this one was very reasonable. Could only drive it a few weeks but the problem started a month after I bought the vehicle. After I replace battery, cables and starter motor problem went away but did not have a good chance until yesterday to drive it in the warmer weather. After driving for about 30 minutes I stopped to do some shopping and when I returned to the car and unlocked the door the clicking started and I thought "it's not going to start" and it didn't. Can't hear the solenoid trying to engage when I turn the key but after waiting an hour it suddenly starts up. AMA was on its way. Cancelled AMA and tried driving home. Engine started motor boating just as I got close to home and car stalled and wouldn't start. This time it started after 20 minutes of trying and I made it home. Got home shut it off and would not start again. Thought I had fixed the problem. Just looking on the Forum to see if any one else has had the problem. Have to have a closer look at the ignition wiring and see how it is designed. Have brand new shop manual, not unwrapped that I home has the wiring diagrams I need. Pictures will follow.

Check for grounding problems. Really common and well discussed here and via google etc. Depending on which you have C4 or C5 there are a number of specific ground points that you should check.

Been reading my manual and my problems seems to happen when I exit the Vette, pushing the electric lock on door and close door. This sets the "Theft Deterrent System" (TDS) I unlock the door turning clockwise on the key. I open the door and the clicking relay ( I think it is the starter interrupt relay) starts. According to the manual when you turn the key to start the relay should shutoff and the TDS shuts off but this doesn't happen. When I use the door key to disable the TDS the relay stops clicking and I am able to start the car. I need to test this further but I think I am on the right track.

Been reading my manual and my problems seems to happen when I exit the Vette, pushing the electric lock on door and close door. This sets the "Theft Deterrent System" (TDS) I unlock the door turning clockwise on the key. I open the door and the clicking relay ( I think it is the starter interrupt relay) starts. According to the manual when you turn the key to start the relay should shutoff and the TDS shuts off but this doesn't happen. When I use the door key to disable the TDS the relay stops clicking and I am able to start the car. I need to test this further but I think I am on the right track.

Yes it sounds like you are on the right track. I’ve never owned a C5 but believe you are in a zone of known issues. Hopefully some C5 guys step up and chime in here for you. 👍

Think I found my problem or a solution to getting stranded. When I exit the car I open the door and push the auto door lock, locking both doors. When I return I unlock the door enter the car and it starts everytime. I have not been able to duplicate the clicking relay and the no start condition yet. If the problem returns I will try shutting off the Alarm Detection System with the key in the door first and see if it starts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.