May 14, 2011
Barrie Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1991 Coupe
Just received a new set of weatherstrip from Corvette Rubber, it was not cheap (about $900CDN). Now I need glue. 3M is $22, Permatex is $8.
I certainly do not want to botch the job as I am already in for pound, just trying to save a nickel where I can.
Anybody out there had any experience with these glues? Hints and cautions welcome.
Thanks

Reactions: Rubano87
Just received a new set of weatherstrip from Corvette Rubber, it was not cheap (about $900CDN). Now I need glue. 3M is $22, Permatex is $8.
I certainly do not want to botch the job as I am already in for pound, just trying to save a nickel where I can.
Anybody out there had any experience with these glues? Hints and cautions welcome.
Thanks

There is a thread on this from 2018. Went into big detail on what and how. Actually looking down the tagging below has 5 threads that Niks bots have pulled up as I write this.

Otherwise hope you are doing great. It's been a while.

D

Thanks
Duct tape

• Haha
Reactions: 61ratvette
I did my windshield seals and used 3m 08008 black super weather adhesive. 21 bucks on amazon. i got mine at Lordco, but you may not have that part store where you live. crappy tire may carry it. the 3m yellow is an option, just don't be too generous as it will squeeze out and look ugly. that part number is 80010

I did my windshield seals and uDarrel
I did my windshield seals and used 3m 08008 black super weather adhesive. 21 bucks on amazon. i got mine at Lordco, but you may not have that part store where you live. crappy tire may carry it. the 3m yellow is an option, just don't be too generous as it will squeeze out and look ugly. that part number is 80010
Hello Darrell
my next question is how much to buy. Wouldn't be a problem except with the isolation thing and all the stores closed, I'll probably order on line. I have all the weatherstrip to do, and having never done before, I don't know how far a 5oz tube will go.
THanks

Well I've done it. I have successfully replaced the weatherstrip. Job is a PIA but with patience and elbow grease and lots of adhesive remover, I got the old stuff out, got the channels clean and installed the new weatherstrip. I takes time, mostly to clean off the old glue and get the channels clean. I have been at it for 4 full days. However the end result is a much improved appearance. Not cheap for parts but price would have been crazy at shop rates . BTW I used parts from the Corvette Rubber Company. All the pieces installed with no problems, fitting perfect and looking great.

Thanks
I recently had to stick a small section of weather stripping back on the car and I used 3M adhesive. it was honestly the best adhesive I've ever used. and I work in waterproofing and I use a lot of adhesives.

just remember to clean the service with alcohol and when applying adhesive. apply a small bit and spread it thin, both on the weather stripping and on the car. let it get tacky and then apply a small bit to one side again and stick them together. not always more is better.

Hope I was of some help.

Hello Rubano87
Thanks for your comments, however, the advice I got from Corvette Rubber Company, was to just apply a small bead to the clean mounting rails. A bit simpler and it seems to have worked OK. The 3M stuff is easy to apply it just flows out of the tube so a small bead is easy to achieve.

Reactions: Rubano87
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.