I ordered Pirelli Sottozero winter tires in the Z51 size almost a month ago, and they're supposed to be here mid next week. Hasn't been easy to get those tires in Z51 OEM size and of course there is no run flat option for all seasons or winters on Z51 - hopefully a run flat option, at least all season, will come in the future.

I'll just run the black Z51 wheels as winter (and maybe track) wheels ultimately.

Oh my!
I wonder if the tires were put thru a couple of heat cycles in the back lot??
We're these front or rear???
Does GM put nitrogen in the tires from the factory? Note: green valve cap.
Graham
to answer your question on the nitrogen that is a dealer installed option cars are not shipped with nitrogen

tire cracked 3.jpg

The small cracks in the yellow circle doesn't upset me to much but the big one in the red oval doesn't feel like ''cosmetic cracks only''. Take a look on tire rack, get the oem tire image and you will see those big cracks are not there. This problem is common to other tire company, I saw this problem a few time on high performance tire in cold weather, the compound get so hard, it doesn't bend anymore.
I don't think it is acceptable

Good luck, Stephane

Last edited:
View attachment 1193

The small cracks in the yellow circle doesn't upset me to much but the big one in the red oval doesn't feel like ''cosmetic cracks only''. Take a look on tire rack, get the oem tire image and you will see those big cracks are not there. This problem is common to other tire company, I saw this problem a few time on high performance tire in cold weather, the compound get so hard, it doesn't bend anymore.
I don't think it is acceptable

Good luck, Stephane

Agreed Stephane -- It looks dangerous doesn't it....They look like they're falling apart .:mad:

"Acceptable" my foot.-- They need replacing for sure.

C.

I wouldn't classify any crack like this as cosmetic. I'll pass on anything that is this sensitive to the cold or whatever is causing the tires to crack. If I were to be racing the car, I would have wheels and tires dedicated just for the track and street tires for the street. If they will crack in Florida weather, then there should be a recall set up.

Last edited:
I really can't see this happening during shipping…this looks like a case of parking the cars for an extended period of time and the tires being frozen in ice

the cracks may not affect the performance or safety of the tires but they will hurt the longevity we just replaced 2 for a customer the back tires didn't crack

From GM TECHLINK: Cracking is damaging to the tire. Tires that exhibit tread cracks should be discarded.

It is my opinion especially on a high performance car

Navion posted he drove a c7 in Florida and he checked whit the salesman and all the c7 over there had cracks??? My guess is ''fabrication or material defect'' , If I am not mistaking, these are the new version of the pilot sport, there suppose to have more grip and last longer (according to Rick at Spring Mountain Motorsport) buuuuuuut if they crack like this even in warm wheather.....:(

Stephane
BTW I am leaving thursday night to Delray Beach Florida for 2 extra small weeks so PLEASE warm it up a bit before I am back:seeya:

This morning I was whit the Goodyear rep. and showed him the picture + the pictures of new tires on the web. As he stated ''I don't have the tire in front of me but this is not a cosmetic problem''.
I dig in the old tsb from Goodyear and found one whit a similar problem on a Eagle RSA original equipment for Nissan Maxima. They where cracking on the corner to. Dealers sent the customers to Goodyear stores to get the tires replace under warranty (as they should be)
I still think these tires should not be on a car especially a car that can go 300km/h. I hope Michelin doesn't wait until something terrible happens :(
All good company have problems, great company takes care of it

Stephane :seeya:

Stephane, thanks for the update with the advice of the Goodyear rep. I had Eagle RSA's on my Maxima but thankfully did not have those issues. I have bought the Michelin's to replace the Goodyears on my car so I have a bit of a concern with this.

Have a great vacation, drag some warmth home with you.

Thanks Stephane -- That's interesting about the cracking problem on the Maxima tires too......Coincidentally my brother just bought a Max.....but it passed inspection and I don't know what tires are on it.
I'll mention this to him.

I too hope GM sends notices to Stingray owners to have their tires checked.
I can't see them ignoring the problem having admitted knowing about it, and I'm sure they care about their customers.

C.

could it be there might be a major recall coming ? i went through two big firestone recalls, once with the 500's in the early 80's and again with ford in the late 90's. both times it took gov't intervention for the company to take action. it sounds like this is a similar situation.

This morning I was whit the Goodyear rep. and showed him the picture + the pictures of new tires on the web. As he stated ''I don't have the tire in front of me but this is not a cosmetic problem''.
I dig in the old tsb from Goodyear and found one whit a similar problem on a Eagle RSA original equipment for Nissan Maxima. They where cracking on the corner to. Dealers sent the customers to Goodyear stores to get the tires replace under garanty (as they should be)
I still think these tires should not be on a car especially a car that can go 300km/h. I hope Michelin doesn't wait until something terrible happens :(
All good company have problems, great company takes care of it

Stephane :seeya:

could it be there might be a major recall coming ? i went through two big firestone recalls, once with the 500's in the early 80's and again with ford in the late 90's. both times it took gov't intervention for the company to take action. it sounds like this is a similar situation.

I don't believe this is a flaw in the tire... which is what I believe some might be suggesting.

It is a characteristic of the rubber compound used/needed to get such a high level of warm weather performance. There are other tires (Yokohama AD-08 comes to mind) with similar warnings around exposure to cold. The tire is specifically designed for a purpose (exceptionally high performance in summer/dry conditions) and the compound cannot deal with extreme cold for this reason. GY also has tires with similar temperature warnings... again, no flaw as it is a result of a specific type of design.

I also understand that tires with cracks have been replaced under warranty. If one of these tires is cracked it is because the car was exposed to temps that were very low.

Some people will argue that it should not be used on the car but my personal view is these are the right tires for the car given what it is. If someone wants a tire that is more versatile in a wider range of temps (with a sacrifice in summer performance) they can always switch out to an all season.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread