▶ $ICAMOU$ ◀
Province
BC
Capture.PNG

Screenshot (16).png

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: tyho
Required because, in Canada, the front plate needs to be a certain height of the ground. Technically, it is illegal to mount the front plate on the integrated bracket because it's too close to the ground, but... who cares?

This is the integrated front bracket:
010820_9b.jpg

Required because, in Canada, the front plate needs to be a certain height of the ground. Technically, it is illegal to mount the front plate on the integrated bracket because it's too close to the ground, but... who cares?

This is the integrated front bracket:
010820_9b.jpg
Talking about plates the new Ontario one looks like poop, seems like a souvenir shop plate, no raised letters and looks like a box of Q tips glad I bought mine before they changed though I hear they are hard to read which can be a good thing lol

Attachments

• D4N_XDsW0AEbFL1.jpg
    D4N_XDsW0AEbFL1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 7
Shame. Was a nice looking car before I saw this pic with the front plate.... I'd have to move to a different province..... or take my chances with only a rear plate.

1581559386006.png

• Agree
Reactions: tyho
Shame. Was a nice looking car before I saw this pic with the front plate.... I'd have to move to a different province..... or take my chances with only a rear plate.

View attachment 36220

Just use the integrated front plate bracket on the car. Don't use that fugly plastic add-on.

• Agree
Reactions: tyho and Rruuff Day
I have a letter from MTO that states the only requirement in Ontario is to display the plate on the front of the car. He goes on to say I can even put it in my windshield if I want. I won't be running that fugly bracket. If anything, it will be in the integrated front section.
It's a shame Doug Ford allowed himself to be bullied by the Police Association and not removing the front plate requirement. Only Ontario, BC and Manitoba are left in the entire country requiring a front plate.

(3) The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (3).

I'm digging for where I found the info on height off the ground.

I have a letter from MTO that states the only requirement in Ontario is to display the plate on the front of the car. He goes on to say I can even put it in my windshield if I want. I won't be running that fugly bracket. If anything, it will be in the integrated front section.
It's a shame Doug Ford allowed himself to be bullied by the Police Association and not removing the front plate requirement. Only Ontario, BC and Manitoba are left in the entire country requiring a front plate.
That does not sound right. The HTA states, from what I remember that the front plate must be visible from the front of the vehicle. If in doubt, go to the HTA website and it will give you a concise definition of where the front plate is to be located Reg. 628, 9.3.
The plate is not conspicuously visible on the dash since it lies flat and could not be read.

Last edited:

I'm digging for where I found the info on height off the ground.
I don't recall there being a mention as to the height since different cars have differing heights for attachment of the plate. What happens if you lower or raise your vehicle??

I don't recall there being a mention as to the height since different cars have differing heights for attachment of the plate. What happens if you lower or raise your vehicle??

I'm redacting my statement right now as I'm trying to find where I saw that info. It was related to the front plate bracket on the C7. There's no reason why GM would make a hack plate bracket for the Canadian market if they didn't have to.

The shoe box plate holder that came with the C7 looked terrible. There were many alternatives from the aftermarket and I recall GM had one that fit in the contour of the grill and looked much better. I think the front plate had to be bent a little to fit correctly.

I found the email response from MTO. I'll post it below. He doesn't say you can put it on your dash, I guess I remembered it wrong. He states there is no particular place you MUST place it, as long as it's clearly visible. Anyhow, his response is copy/pasted below.

Dear John,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your suggestions about eliminating the use of front vehicle license plates. Although the Ontario government sees the advantages of a single licence plate, proposals for this system have been rejected on three separate occasions, primarily for law enforcement reasons. In fact, law enforcement officials have continually impressed upon the ministry the importance of keeping the current two-plate system.

Moreover, driving a motor vehicle which does not display both licence plates is an offence under section 9 (3) of Regulation 628 (Vehicle Permits) under the Highway Traffic Act. The law does not specify a particular position on the front and rear of the vehicle, provided that both plates are clearly visible.

I trust you will appreciate the primary purpose of the Ontario licence plate is to allow law enforcement officers to identify vehicles and vehicle owners from either the front or the rear. Ontario has more than 11 million registered vehicles which make up over one third the total number of vehicles registered in Canada. Removing the front plate may hinder or prevent law enforcement officers from effectively identifying vehicles ( for e.g. on Commercial motor vehicle plates the validation device must be placed in the upper right corner of front plate unlike Passenger vehicle plates where the validation device must be placed in the upper right corner of the rear plate). Therefore, this ministry has no plans to change the current two-plate system at this time. However, your views have been noted for any future consideration.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments. Customer feedback is one of the ways we are able to monitor and improve how services are delivered.

Sincerely,

S. George | Sr.Analyst
Licensing Administration & Support Office
87 Sir William Hearst Avenue
North York ON M3M 0B4
MTO Banner II

Licensing Administration & Support Office
E: [email protected]

Please consider the environment before printing this email. P

I'm redacting my statement right now as I'm trying to find where I saw that info. It was related to the front plate bracket on the C7. There's no reason why GM would make a hack plate bracket for the Canadian market if they didn't have to.
I video I saw where Kirk Bennion talked about the front plate mounting, he said some US states have height
provisions for the front plate and the integrated plate holder on the C8 is not legal in those states. That is why
GM has 2 different front plate mounting solutions. It was similiar on the C7.

Reactions: EJChevy
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.