C5 Ontario You're a Regular You're Celebrated
Sep 6, 2020
Seeley's Bay, ON
VetteCoins
Car
1997 C5 Coupe
Province
ON
My new to me 97 has a transparent roof panel that looks pretty crappy. The clear coat has worn off on the left side, there's several light spider web cracks near the edges on both sides and one crack about 2" long that can be felt on the inside. I saw a video where someone restored theirs using fine grit sandpaper, but I'm not sure it will work in my case. Then I went looking for replacement roof panels. Holy crap. Expensive. And that's all I have to say about that. So, I'm thinking I might just get it vinyl wrapped instead in gloss black to match the car. Has anyone done this and, if so, how much did it cost and how well did it handle the elements?

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
Definitely do the wrap. Can do inside and out so it looks good from both sides. Lots of us have used the wrap for various things. It sticks great and handles pretty much anything you throw at it. If you mess it up you can easily get it replaced vs repa$inted.
I assume you store the car inside.. but installed properly it should be ok outside for a few years.

Here is a thread.

Definitely do the wrap. Can do inside and out so it looks good from both sides. Lots of us have used the wrap for various things. It sticks great and handles pretty much anything you throw at it. If you mess it up you can easily get it replaced vs repa$inted.
I assume you store the car inside.. but installed properly it should be ok outside for a few years.

Much obliged! Yes, the car will be stored inside during the winter. In summer it will be parked in the carport with a car cover.

Reactions: ddgermann
I had mine done in a flat back vinyl (outside only) 2 years ago. It still looks as good as the day it was done. It was done locally in Edmonton at a shop called Carbon Auto. They have since closed and I lost track of the guy that did it. I have heard good things about a shop in the downtown area called Car Pretty if you are in this area

Reactions: Gummiente
I had mine done in a flat back vinyl (outside only) 2 years ago. It still looks as good as the day it was done. It was done locally in Edmonton at a shop called Carbon Auto. They have since closed and I lost track of the guy that did it. I have heard good things about a shop in the downtown area called Car Pretty if you are in this area

I'm way East in Kingston, Ontario, but I have a local shop lined up to do the job for around $200.

Had it wrapped by Tint World in Kingston, ON, just picked it up today and I am quite happy with it!
IMG_20200929_1335142.jpg

I wrapped the edges of my C6 roof because I had a crack developing. I used to methyl chloride as a welding agent for the lexan top to stop the spread of the crack. It worked very well. I used a carbon fiber wrap material, and it looks really good on the car. The bonus is that it is more resistant to finger prints. I find the Lexan/Clearcoat combination VERY delicate. Even a slight brush against it will scratch it :(

My new to me 97 has a transparent roof panel that looks pretty crappy. The clear coat has worn off on the left side, there's several light spider web cracks near the edges on both sides and one crack about 2" long that can be felt on the inside. I saw a video where someone restored theirs using fine grit sandpaper, but I'm not sure it will work in my case. Then I went looking for replacement roof panels. Holy crap. Expensive. And that's all I have to say about that. So, I'm thinking I might just get it vinyl wrapped instead in gloss black to match the car. Has anyone done this and, if so, how much did it cost and how well did it handle the elements?
A good and honest body shop can recommend after a good look at your top. Good luck !!!😎🥂😷

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread