Aug 8, 2011
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1975 L82
Hey fellow Vette owners. New to this site and have only had my 75 coupe for a week. Can only find VIN numbers on the engine block and not on the car. Any suggestions? I read somewhere on line that they could be found on the frame, but no success there either. I have an ownership that matches the engine but need car Vin numbers...Any help would be great....

Vin

The VIN number on the registration but the small plate on the door arm near the wqindshield is missing apparently because the interior work was started and that plate is not there. I just transferred the registration into my name but need to locate that for insurance purposes. I was told it was on the frame somewhere at the top and could be found with a flashlight and mirror, but no luck there either.

As far as I remember there should be another stamping driver side frame at the rear wheel well but I don't ever remember looking for it on mine so no real help. I will do some more looking around to see if there is anywhere else to look.

T

Vin on the car

Yes, I have the ownership transferred and the number on the registration matches the number on the block, and the breakdown of the Vin number indicates its that car, but the appraiser wants to see it for insurance purposes somewhere on the car itself.

Insurance

The issue here is that because I need an appraisal for insurance purposes, the appraiser won't give me anything without the VIN tag showing the car matches that ownership. So, the insurance company wants a crazy amount without collision coverage unless I can put it under the Vintage car category and say it's only driven part time. I can't do this without the appraisal...Running in circles

Does your insurance company have any advise on how to get a new VIN tag? Hopefully they can be working with you to solve this. I'm sure you asked the previous owner what they did with the VIN tag? Is there anyway to make a new VIN tag and rivet it back onto the dash? It may be too late to do this as the cat is out of the bag with the appraiser and insurance company and I understand the reasons for not allowing recreating a VIN tag, but if the old one is lost during a restoration and you are not putting a new one on for fraud or misrepresentation, then it should be doable. You may need to get the previous owner involved in this or a sworn statement that the car he sold you is the car with the VIN found on your registration.

I guess the build sheet would be missing from the car if the interior is done... or is there another location on finding the build sheet like on top of the fuel tank? Is the VIN even on a build sheet?

Sorry you have to go through this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.