Featured Thread
Why the heck did GM leave the vehicle 2 liters short of transmission fluid, even if they say "it's not really needed for normal street use". WTF??

It's definitely a pain in the ass to do. I added the 2 litres when I had it apart doing doing my sport cats. And its even harder working on the vert.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-12-29 at 5.49.50 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-29 at 5.49.50 PM.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 28
It's not needed so, it's not needed! What's so hard to understand. They left room to make sure that for race only cars there was room for more fluid.
High demand over long periods = make sure there are no issues.
This topic was covered in a few interviews with the Engineers. The primary reason to lower the fluid was gas mileage requirements from California. The transmission has less viscous resistance on the gears thus yielding slightly better fuel economy. This is important for carbon numbers when you build 40K cars per year.

This topic was covered in a few interviews with the Engineers. The primary reason to lower the fluid was gas mileage requirements from California. The transmission has less viscous resistance on the gears thus yielding slightly better fuel economy. This is important for carbon numbers when you build 40K cars per year.
The point is it is not needed on the street. Period! GM wouldn't take the chance.

Reactions: frankmp and ABC
They left room for race cars? I thought it was. And I understand it better than you know. That's why I added it.
There is no reason not to add it if you want. I wasn't arguing that point. I'm merely saying that GM didn't leave 2 quarts out. The wouldn't take the chance. They also say you should add it if you are going to track the car. 75% won't ever.

If you drive your car hard, track or not and don't want a CEL add the 2 quarts I did. More oil capacity whether engine or DCT in my mind is good insurance.
When it's time to do the change or when they disassemble the car for other reasons, like an air filter, then for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.