May 21, 2010
Nanaimo BC
VetteCoins
Car
2002 convertible
Province
BC
Looking for a C5 vats key and see there is lots to choose from on flea bay both price wise and selection. Good thing I don`t own a 03 as they seem to be expensive :eek: Any thoughts?

Looking for a C5 vats key and see there is lots to choose from on flea bay both price wise and selection. Good thing I don`t own a 03 as they seem to be expensive :eek: Any thoughts?

I have bought many fobs and vats from ebay with great success .

I also got my key fob there. Are the no name brands comparable to the OEM GM version? Looking for one as close to original without breaking the bank.

Please make sure that buy the OEM product , even if it is used , its still better than the cheap copies .

enlighten me what is a vats key? we live in sask. and i picked up a key fob from sgi salvage for $21, as well got a new resister key for $32 at joe's locksmith in moose jaw.

enlighten me what is a vats key? we live in sask. and i picked up a key fob from sgi salvage for $21, as well got a new resister key for $32 at joe's locksmith in moose jaw.

VATS and PASSKEY Vehicle Anti-Theft Systems
General Information
The Pass-Key, Pass-Key II, or VATS, as it's called in earlier GM vehicles, uses a resistor mounted in the key blank to confirm that the correct ignition key is being used to start the engine. Many people call the resistor pellet a "chip" due to the common misconception that it is some sophisticated digital circuit to identify the key to the car. Not quite. It is not a

I remember also that when I installed a command start on my '89 GTA that it was quite easy back then to disable the VATS system. After that I didn't need a key with a "chip" in it to start it any more. Not sure if it is so easy now but...

I remember also that when I installed a command start on my '89 GTA that it was quite easy back then to disable the VATS system. After that I didn't need a key with a "chip" in it to start it any more. Not sure if it is so easy now but...

I could tell you , but then I would have no choice but put out a hit on you :rofl:

Vats

I had a problem with my '88 there was something wrong with the circuit in the ignition switch. Measured the chip on the key and installed resistors in the circuit in the steering column. Voila it worked

VATS Begone

Had the usual Vats imtermittent start problem. Just installed a Newrockies controller that completely by passes the security system. No need for resistor keys, no more intermittent start problems.
Not cheap, and getting to the CCM is a PIA as well as getting the CCM out and back in.You need to remove the seats,remove all of the center console trim, remove the radio,remove screws from the dash trim, remove the plastic and carpet panel below the steering wheel, remove the aluminum panel below the steering wheel, remove the side panels on both sides of the console,remove the support bracket from the drivers side of the console, unclip the relay that is mounted up high and will foul the CCM. The CCM is between the back of the radio box and the firewall. There is a bracket between the ccm and the radio box,remove that . Now with a bit of a struggle you can get the CCM out, wire in the by pass unit and with a bit of a struggle put it back. Car started first try with a blank key.
Now put it all back together again. I am guessing 8 hours work. but the unit has, thus far, solved the problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.