I eat lunch at a Mcdonalds once in a while and every time I read the newspaper that's provided for free some guy writes on several pages "so and so dealership is a thief". This has been going on for years!!! After all that time he holds enough of a grudge to continue on his quest.

No question these cars are insured and are repaired professionally, and warranty will reflect that. No dealer in their right mind would take a chance cheaping out on this.

You’d think insurance would cover vandalism. Yes would be interesting to see what deep discount would be. Both are pretty loaded and currently at about 15% off msrp assuming with current Costco program which ends tomorrow. At least on these two damage appears confined to the bumper covers......but overall a bad situation.
Insurance does cover vandalism but typically the deductable is very very high so we can afford the premiums (which have skyrocketed in the last few years.) It's a losing situation no metter how we slice it. Paint warranty on the repaired area would be the dealers responsibility although the manufacturer wouldn't be aware of the repair. If something funky happens with the paint they will be required to send pictures in to make a claim.

Insurance does cover vandalism but typically the deductable is very very high so we can afford the premiums (which have skyrocketed in the last few years.) It's a losing situation no metter how we slice it. Paint warranty on the repaired area would be the dealers responsibility although the manufacturer wouldn't be aware of the repair. If something funky happens with the paint they will be required to send pictures in to make a claim.
assume any buyers of a "CLaim" or repaired car would need a specific notation on the contract ( bill of sale) saying they acknowledge and will stand behind and complete any future repair that may come to light. Also assume its not some waiver you have to sign waiving the paint issue in lieu of a better deal.........

It was mentioned to me by a mouse that insurance was a losing proposition. The mouse gave me word that they would sell the car as is at a heavy discount as an option to take your “new car” to wherever you want to get it repaired. I mentioned that not many people would know of a good paint repair company. Reply was ... ya thats why few will know about the heavy discount offer. I see they repaired them (or most) now ... repair invoice/document included apparently. Thats good news and a great deal for someone who will actually drive it and enjoy the heck out of it (as the damage will likely pop up on carfax when it comes time to resell it). JMO
The mouse has since left the house so i cannot followup on the latest of events there ...

Last edited:
It was mentioned to me by a mouse that insurance was a losing proposition. The mouse gave me word that they would sell the car as is at a heavy discount as an option to take your “new car” to wherever you want to get it repaired. I mentioned that not many people would know of a good paint repair company. Reply was ... ya thats why few will know about the heavy discount offer. I see they repaired them (or most) now ... repair invoice/document included apparently. Thats good news and a great deal for someone who will actually drive it and enjoy the heck out of it (as the damage will likely pop up on carfax when it comes time to resell it). JMO
It will only show on Carfax if they put it through their insurance and even then it may not as it is fleet blanket coverage.

It will only show on Carfax if they put it through their insurance and even then it may not as it is fleet blanket coverage.
interesting.. Spence what does mouse say about this? If a buyer knew for sure no mark on Carfax then that much more easy to buy. But then again in Alberta at least you need to disclose any issues on a used car before selling..... assume event for a paint repair vs a collision are required to be reported to a potential buyer?

interesting.. Spence what does mouse say about this? If a buyer knew for sure no mark on Carfax then that much more easy to buy. But then again in Alberta at least you need to disclose any issues on a used car before selling..... assume event for a paint repair vs a collision are required to be reported to a potential buyer?
Correct, damage or repairs exceeding 3000.00 must be disclosed regardless of what Carfax shows. We all know how far 3000.00 gets you in paint repairs :)

"the mouse" who is no longer in the house was wanting me to help find buyer(s) who were willing to buy one "as is" and deeply discounted.
A Brand New Car to get paint/repaired themselves (in lieu of the discount). Basically cutting loses as best as they could at the time without any shenanigans.
I did not have a buyer and therefore nothing followed-thru back when this damage incident occurred - it's been a while since that day.
What one would have done, if accepting this opportunity and then later had up for disclosing (or not) may most likely be a test of the Owner's integrity.
The Dealership definitely suffered great loss. Definitely becoming a very hard sell.
Heard rumor that they had evidence of the culprit but not sure how far they were able to take it.

Damage was more than paint on a few, there were a couple with headlight lens blemishes
and compromise to the heat extraction vent ... with nose, hood, front quarters, headlights
hood vent and perhaps even a nose grill, definitely in excess of $5000 on many
(unsure of actual dealer cost if done internally). Our friend "Mikey" did a few on-the-scene video commentaries back then.

These are great non-collision purchases as long as the price is right for the Buyer.
A Corvette to enjoy, have Spring Mountain Corvette School entitlement and full warranty.
Miles of Smiles.
I've seen New and Used Corvettes on Dealer lots in the past with key scratches on their nose so this is not uncommon.
On the other hand, the extremity of cosmetic damage repair in this case is not common.

Last edited:
The damage and repairs on the Capital cars will be reported on Carfax. Capital will also provide a repair report to the purchaser so there will a record for any future sale. The cars have or will be repaired to factory standards and all the damages were cosmetic in nature. These are not cars that had an “accident”. It’s mostly paint. The discount on the one I purchased was significant and as the repairs look flawless, and the cars drivability has not been compromised, I was happy.

"the mouse" who is no longer in the house was wanting me to help find buyer(s) who were willing to buy one "as is" and deeply discounted. A Brand New Car to get paint/repaired themselves (in lieu of the discount). Basically cutting loses as best as they could at the time without any shenanigans. I did not have a buyer and therefore nothing followed-thru back when this damage incident occurred - it's been a while since that day. What one would have done, if accepting this opportunity and then later had up for disclosing (or not) may most likely be a test of the Owner's integrity.
The Dealership definitely suffered great loss. Definitiely becoming a very hard sell.
Heard rumour that they had evidence but not sure how far they were able to take it.

Damage was more than paint on a few, there were a couple with headlight lens blemishes
and compromise to the heat extraction vent ... with nose, hood, front quarters, headlights
hood vent and perhaps even a nose grill, definitely in excess of $5000 on many (unsure of actual dealer cost if done internally). Our friend "Mikey" did a few on-the-scene video commentaries back then.

These are great non-collision purchases as long as the price is right for the Buyer.
A Corvette to enjoy, have Spring Mountain Corvette School entitlement and full warranty.
Miles of Smiles.
I've seen New and Used Corvettes on Dealer lots in the past with key scratches on their nose so this is not uncommon. On the other hand, the extremity of cosmetic damage repair in this case is.

They must of sent the cars to the in house body shop. Not too expensive for them to fix if they only need to pay an employee and some paint. What would of been the deep "discount" to a customer?

$26,000 off msrp.
I would of purchased it in a heart beat with that kind of discount. Usually when something is damaged at a store you're lucky if they offer 5% or some ridiculous amount. In this case from the pics it was mostly paint, no dents or broken parts so pretty easy fix in my eyes.

They must of sent the cars to the in house body shop. Not too expensive for them to fix if they only need to pay an employee and some paint. What would of been the deep "discount" to a customer?
Deep discounts I touched on was from a discussion i was a part of quite some time ago. They would have applied to the vehicle “as is”. There was no discount value disclosed as it did not work that way - it was for a buyer to find in negotiation for determining its suitability. I see one person is rather pleased with his post-repair discount. That’s all that matters. There was no saving to the dealership for repair, it was all performed at a loss as it was not recoverable. Presenting a vehicle with high quality repair will say a lot about this Dealer/Seller and go a long way for recommending the other Corvettes to potential Buyers. You were not on my radar for recommending these as added expense would have been necessary for you to shop and buy/deliver one and your budget for the Corvettes that you were considering would have had to be increased. The discount mentioned above, was on a $100k+ Corvette. Main reason however for me not bringing it to your attention, was that the Dealership Rep I had, recently resigned his position,

Last edited:
Reactions: Dantanman
Deep discounts I touched on was from a discussion i was a part of quite some time ago. They would have applied to the vehicle “as is”. There was no discount value disclosed as it did not work that way - it was for a buyer to find in negotiation for determining its suitability. I see one person is rather pleased with his post-repair discount. That’s all that matters. There was no saving to the dealership for repair, it was all performed at a loss as it was not recoverable. Presenting a vehicle with high quality repair will say a lot about this Dealer/Seller and go a long way for recommending the other Corvettes to potential Buyers. You were not on my radar for recommending these as added expense would have been necessary for you to buy one and your budget for the Corvettes that you were considering would have had to be increased. The discount mentioned above, was not on a $65-$70k Corvette. Main reason however was that my Dealership contact has recently resigned his position,

If I understand correctly when I was shopping for a car in early late December-January these cars were available? When it was mentioned in the thread I thought that story was a long time ago. Still no worries, the car I just bought ended up right on my max budget of 60K taxes included and loaded with options that I know others don't have in their stingrays.

If I understand correctly when I was shopping for a car in early late December-January these cars were available? When it was mentioned in the thread I thought that story was a long time ago. Still no worries, the car I just bought ended up right on my max budget of 60K taxes included and loaded with options that I know others don't have in their stingrays.
I last seen many of these vandalized Corvettes in the fall of 2019. I assume that they have been moved to a
Corvette Cave that I know they have. Yes they have some remaining.
I anticipated that these would rise up in the Spring in repaired glory.
These cars would be very difficult for you to consider with damage/repair and the distance/travel that would be involved.
I agree that you have your best bang for your Dollar when comparing what you have to these Corvettes. You would have
had to endure increased anxiety with no guarantee of striking a deal on one of these.
Many of us have seen these cars in person … all cosmetic in nature
… somewhat like seeing an open wound … knowing that they all will heal.

Reactions: Tango and Dantanman
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.