Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
Low and behold have introduced some additional map improvements.

In no particular order they are:

1. Mass conversations with up to 100 members within the radius you can draw on the map. This is currently restricted to senior members with more than 100 posts to prevent possible spam issues. We may change this at a later date. Note we have a restriction of 100 members max per conversation. A typical use case is if you zoom in on your approximate location (or any location) and click the start conversation button on the right. This will create a new conversation with all members in your radius.

2. New privacy settings including browser location, under your profile->privacy->user map privacy settings you now have full control of how you'd like your location to show. For example you can randomize your location within a specific distance, remove yourself from the map entirely, use your account level specified location entry, use your IP address or use your browser location for the most precise location (this will trigger a browser prompt which you need to say Yes to to use your browser location). On a mobile browser this should give you a pretty accurate AGPS location.

3. New Radius filters, you can now draw, move and resize circles on the map dynamically to include specific locations.

4. Brought back the Map icon under the postbit

Will be doing further mods to this shortly.

Maps are accessible via this link:
https://canadiancorvetteforums.com/usermap

Or Via Members->Maps in the menu
Or Via your User Profile->Map
Or Via the Map icon found in the postbit of registered members.

Now we know where all the Arctic White cars go.:Biggrin:
That is the Arctic Camo vehicle Murray... They were developed by GM for sneaking up on the Polar bears........ :D It's much like the Holstein Camo vehicle they built for you Ontario-ites.... For sneaking up on the milk cows......... Moooooove.... off the road...

upload_2017-4-19_9-58-25.png

NIK..
Thanx for the upgrades...
Is there a way to filter out the members that haven't signed on in years?
A couple of members I clicked on haven't been on here in 5-7 years.

Graham
There is more than a couple Graham but I'm not sure how we solve that. It would be nice if Nik the Amazing had a way to grey out the colour of the place tabs of the MIA members....Then set it up to automatically make them current again if and when they do happen to log on again.... hmmmmmm.... That may be asking a lot.... I guess it doesn't hurt to leave them there... as long as we treat them like the Bots and don't expect to have conversations.... :Banghead:

I can't really say too much. I'm not on here near as much as I should, or want to be for that matter. Work just has a way of getting in the way, but from days as a moderator on a Mustang forum, I do remember how frustrating it was, getting people signing up for a single "for sale", or "wanted" ad, and then never to be heard from again. Others just seem to switch brands and move to the next forum.

NIK..
Thanx for the upgrades...
Is there a way to filter out the members that haven't signed on in years?
A couple of members I clicked on haven't been on here in 5-7 years.

Graham

There is but the filter is not exposed to members at this stage, will think about adding it as an option. I will put in a global limit of say 2 years since last activity for the member pins so you should see a lot fewer stale accounts.

I can't really say too much. I'm not on here near as much as I should, or want to be for that matter. Work just has a way of getting in the way, but from days as a moderator on a Mustang forum, I do remember how frustrating it was, getting people signing up for a single "for sale", or "wanted" ad, and then never to be heard from again. Others just seem to switch brands and move to the next forum.

That's the case with all forums. Will always have one post wonders. We do have some restrictions to encourage folks to post more but alas can't get everyone to take part.

I'm not a computer tech, and never played one on tv but....
I assumed that if there is a 'field' that shows 'Was last seen date' then it can be brought into the map search equation. Let's say 3 years or newer.
If this isn't easy to do than no worries.
Thanx
Graham

I'm not a computer tech, and never played one on tv but....
I assumed that if there is a 'field' that shows 'Was last seen date' then it can be brought into the map search equation. Let's say 3 years or newer.
If this isn't easy to do than no worries.
Thanx
Graham

I played an IT guy in a cameo role and have just added that restriction globally. Will only show members who have logged in the past 3 years now. That should get rid of a few stale accounts. Next update I will add something to the map page so that members can pick the last activity criteria.

I've also exposed some user group filters that correspond to the post rankings we have, so we have power posters > 1000 posts, regulars > 100, could be regulars > 10. You can click/uncheck as needed for additional filtering.

Again to reiterate, for privacy reasons we will not be mass updating the map with more precise location data. Each and every user has the option to expose as much or as little of their location as they want by going into their privacy settings.

The location by default is derived from the location field in your user profile (which you would've filled in when you registered). So if you put "The Moon" in there well only moon people will find you. Locations are updated only after you change something in your privacy section and save your profile again.

NIK... you're the best!!!
Thanx buddy..

Graham

No probs, if you have suggestions I'm all ears. This feature is a bit experimental but if people use it I'll focus more on improving it.

P.S. > Hang tight, I will do a mass update tonight for everyone so we get rid of the "older" accounts off the map.

Nik! You played a cameo role IT.... So did I ... Did a number of IT appearances on The Adams Family... Was headed for stardom until I started losing my hair.... You're younger than me... I bet it was you who took over my part! :rolleyes:

IT.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Quick update, as pointed out by @nascar03 we had a bit of a configuration dilemma for users wanting to put in a specific pin on the user map yet retain their generic location on their profile so I've introduced a new field on your user profile called Map Location. Found at the bottom of here: https://canadiancorvetteforums.com/account/personal-details

The Map Location is where you can specify whatever accurate or inaccurate address you want to pin on the map. If Map location field is empty it will by default look at your standard location field (the one that shows up on your profile) then depending on your privacy settings it may fall back to IP address lookups or other GPS means in an attempt to locate you.

It's there for anyone that wants to use it. Simply go to the above link, enter address or any part thereof that Google Maps can successfully resolve and hit save. Update *should* be instantaneous on the map on save.

Users who are viewing this thread