We have a 1997 Oldsmobile LSS that has never seen winter. Still like new. It is also garage kept but does see some summer rain. Our Corvette, a 2005, is the same. It's the winter salt that wreaks havoc, especially with boxed in frames as there is no good way to wash it all out. Beware that a lot of the undercoating places, even name brand, don't do a very good job. I have a neighbour who has his own body shop and does undercoating as well so he sees what is in there when he has to cut a quarter panel off. Not much undercoating if any. He tells me that even name brand shops allow one container of undercoating per vehicle. He uses five, to do a thorough job. We got our 2005 Jimmy undercoated regularly....so we thought. The back bumper was starting to rust out. No undercoating at all. You don't have to be an undercoating person to see where vehicles rust and the back bumpers seem to be the worst. Even I see that. Be careful.

I think I know the answer to this, but does anybody get there corvette under coated? I have a c3 and just looking for opinions
Hi...I had a C3 78 for 15 years...followed by a C5 and now a C7. The C3 I actually drove all winter, as a daily commuter car. Wouldn't do that again, however, what I learned was that after a few years of this the underbody of the 78 was full of rust. Ironically we've been taking our family vehicles to Rust Check annually for many years...why I didn't do that for the Vette I have no idea. The 98 and 2019 Vette's I've garaged now over the winter, and their underbodies are largely aluminum...but if I did drive them in more extreme weather I'd spend the $150 (Can) or so per year to spray them also. I'm assuming that you have similar winter weather in Syracuse to us...you're just on the other side of the lake :canada:

I would not undercoat a c3 that has been exposed to the elements for decades. I replace the rotted out frame on my c2 back in 1980. I sandblasted a good used frame and painted it black before reinstalling the body. The body had some kind of a factory undercoating that I removed and painted the underside of the body a dark charcoal enamel which has held up well. If your frame is solid, I would spray the inside and outside of the frame and rear trailing arms with a paint product that neutralizes rust.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.