Do the mob bosses pay well there? ;)
I would bet they pay themselves well , lol . I by no means intended to denigrate Venezuelans they are by and large people just like us trying to get by and support their families. It’s government repression that’s the problem . Venezuela: UN Experts warn of persisting attacks on civil society, media and trade union leaders . Interesting contrast to the Democrats public support of the UAW . We sometimes forget how lucky we are to live in North America even with the problems that we have.

Reactions: 12cents and AxeZ06
The companies owe them nothing! If they went under they'd have NO job! Period! They owe the company NOTHING either! The workers chose to work there and stay there. Strikes are a tool for employees to use, but they should also be realistic. The union is using money gained not only by auto workers dues but others in the union as well. I'm pretty sure they make decent wages as unskilled labourers, which I believe most are.
Those wages "were" decent.
Until recently.
You & I both know that every (normal) auto worker could afford to buy a car / truck from the company that employed them. Exceptions, of course....i.e. Cadillac, Lincoln, Imperial, etc. Just about all could do that, and buy a house, feed & clothe the kids, take a couple weeks vacation, and still save for retirement. No so in 2023.
Since all employees gave concessions, the rate of pay hasn't kept up in prior (think last three) contract negotiations.
CEO's and top executives receive 400% to 4000% pay increases every year. Plus a new vehicle every week, or sometimes every day, at no expense. Don't forget those corporate jets too. No charge for them.
All in all, 40% over four years is chicken feed.
But, that's still a good chunk of income tax incoming to the govt, and money the workers can spend, to keep ALL businesses thriving.

Those wages "were" decent.
Until recently.
I would say they were more than just decent, but I know people live to their means and once used to a certain way of living it can be tough to take less. Still, they are unskilled labour and lucky to have jobs. Not saying they shouldn't bargain for cost of living increases, but asking for more than that isn't justifiable. Especially if you consider they were overpaid to start with. At least in my opinion, perhaps not theirs.
The execs getting large increases is a totally separate argument.

I would say they were more than just decent, but I know people live to their means and once used to a certain way of living it can be tough to take less. Still, they are unskilled labour and lucky to have jobs. Not saying they shouldn't bargain for cost of living increases, but asking for more than that isn't justifiable. Especially if you consider they were overpaid to start with. At least in my opinion, perhaps not theirs.
The execs getting large increases is a totally separate argument.
Maybe Axe is right.. Give them 100%. In Canada we can all afford a $100,000 dollar Trax, a $250,000 Silverado and a $350,000 dollar Corvette.....

The UAW's next deadline is Friday September 22nd at noon. If significant progress isn't made in the unions opinion, the next round of members will be asked to strike and walk out of their respective plants. We will find out more at that time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.