Jun 30, 2018
Dollard des Ormeaux, PQ
VetteCoins
Car
1986 Corvette
Province
QC
My 86 Vette runs great, but the transmission seems to shift strangely. First to second shift (normal driving) seems to take forever, winding up the revs and ending in a hard shift into second. The shift into third seems firm but normal. Everything else operates well. Is this a normal operation, or is there some adjustment possible. This must be burning up huge amounts of fuel unnecessarily, as well as being rather annoying to drive. Also seems to hunt gears, depending on how fast the traffic is moving. Anybody have any insight?

Not that I actually have any meaningful insight on this but if you've checked fluids for cleanliness and proper fluid level, the next thing I would look at is the TV cable adjustment. It's definately not good for the tranny if it's reving freely and banging into second. Good luck and I expect there will be more input from some of our resident C4 guys that know considerably more than me... Here's some chat on the TV cable...

Attachments

• 700r4 cable adjustment instructions.pdf
    97.8 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: ddgermann
I agree with Rruuff day , the cable could be broke or out of adjustment. If you know where the cable is coming from the tranny hooked up to engine, just take the end off the throttle lever or where ever it is hooked onto there, and pull on it , if you feel it spring back then the cable is ok, but if you pull the cable and no resistance then the cable is probably broke, thus not regulating pressure in the tranny causing the bad shifting, which if ran like that for awhile can cause internal damage. Or if there is a spring back , then possibly the clip holding the cable near the throttle is lose and the cable slipped so is out of adjustment now . My 2 cents .

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.