Apr 27, 2010
Sherwood Park
VetteCoins
Car
1998 roadster 6spd
Anyone have this issue? Mine started end of last summer- pop the trunk, it barely lifts off the weather strip, and it's a pain to pry open. I was going to get new gas shocks, but not sure if that's the answer.

Honestly I am just guessing because something has to pop the trunk up when the latch lets go. Let me know if you find anything. I am interested in finding out how it works.

The shocks on the rear lid could be going and then there is not enough lift
to push the lid up, does it sink down once open or any pressure from the
shocks when closing?
Also there is the spring in the latch assembly in the center of the trunk opening.
You can adjust the spring tension by rebending the spring or there are the
adjustable bumpers on either side of the lid.
You should check those items out first in order.

My CTS-V was noted for the trunk not popping up fully or when opened it would
close back on me again, the shocks on either side where shot.

I didn't see any bumpers when I looked. I thought it was shock pressure that popped the trunk open, but will look for the spring in the latch. The lid will fall down if less than halfway open, but beyond halfway the trunk will stay open. That's why I thought it was shocks. I'll let you know what I come up with but it might be awhile as it is not too bothersome if you simply close the door- the air pressure forces the trunk open.

I the trunk lid falls on its own when open then the shock are most likely shot.
You lift it up over half way and let go it should rise up on its own and there
should be some force pushing up if you press down on it.
You could always try changing them and then see how it works out.

The spring is a known problem, and most Z06 / convertibles have the same problem. There are companies that sell a spring "assist" that works ( The Corvette C5 Trunk Popper ), but I just pulled mine and it worked fine. For awhile. Then it sucked again :D

Anyways, it's the spring. Pull it with pliers and open it up a bit and I bet your trunk pops right open.

After getting back into it for a few weeks, I can see why this is such a pain for me. I am not always in the car when I pop the trunk (popped via remote), then forced to open and close the drivers's door. Not a big deal, but a pain when I'm using the trunk a lot. Or when the top is down.

I think it's the shocks- the spring can pop the trunk open, but the shocks cannot provide the lift needed to get it open enough to get fingers in.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll let you know when I have it solved. Too many other things to do including a Vararam install.

Last edited:
There is also a little spring mod that you can do for additional lift without changing the shocks.
Here is a image of the mod, very basic spring under the latch retaining screw, might be a
cheaper option as the shock might cost a few bucks, they did on my CTS-V.

image003.jpg

There is also a little spring mod that you can do for additional lift without changing the shocks.
Here is a image of the mod, very basic spring under the latch retaining screw, might be a
cheaper option as the shock might cost a few bucks, they did on my CTS-V.

image003.jpg

:agree: Yup, that's a good idea....simple and economical .

Hey TGstring, now that I think about it the trunk gives me more trouble on hot days...I think I will give that a try! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll slick-up the weatherstrip and see what happens.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.