AllFlash

Power User
Jul 25, 2014
Niagara
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Z06
Ok so... I am just back from a rather extended trip of the Eastern US and Canada in the Z and will post another thread with some amazing piks shortly. I encountered two issues on the trip which I thought I might throw by the experts here though, in hopes of getting a better idea of the problem and fix.

1. Center Console Display Doesn't Return - I can always get it to lower on the first push of the button but, about half way through the trip, it became rather cantankerous and now I have to press it 3 times for a return. The first time it comes up just partially enough to see the move, second press no movement at all and then the third puts it back all the way. I am certain nothing got caught in there and it is an issue with the electronics/computer as it is the same every time to return...three presses. Thoughts???

2. Some Strange Rattle or Echo Under Front End - This is most noticeable when cruising at around 55-60 and is definitely up front somewhere. It seems to be coming from the area of my feet. It is some type of a rattle or echo and is completely random. It is like something might be lose in the drive train or front somewhere. It does not affect mileage or driveability whatsoever and is only noticeable when the music is off and cruising at 55-60 if you listen carefully but it is there.

Thanks in advance gang. I should be one to complain though...lol. We are above 23000 miles in under a year's driving and have traveled most of the US and Canada in search of some amazing enthusiast driving roads.

AllFlash I had an event in my 16 Z where my cell got into a position that restricted the downward travel of the screen door. The screen went down partially as it got caught on the phone, the resistance causing the screen to return upwards. It was a challenge to get it released but the thing is that at a certain degree of resistance to the screen movement it will result in screen not completing it's travel and return to the initial position.
If over time, like 23000 miles of time and associated use of the bat cave door, likely there has been something to cause the threshold resistance the to the door movement that is triggering the malfunction.
The challenge is locating the source of the resistance.

As for the faint rattle or echo up front - That's a real challenge until another clue pops up which hopefully isn't devastating.
On my 16 Z I had an intermittent rattle coming from the right front lower fender, leading edge of door area at about 80kph. Any faster the rattle seemed to disappear and low speeds no rattle. Got home after the first oil change and found one of the hoist lift pucks used for C7's still in the frame with the chain (used to attach the puck to a hook on the hoist for storage) hanging down just enough to tap the side rails.
20160509_155657.jpg

Another situation with the 17 GS on maiden trip home. A sound from up front like a knock, rattle, bubble or echo sound ??? but very intermittent. Noticeable mainly at cruising speed around 80-100 kph. As the trip home progressed an intermittent jerking or lurching of the car would occur. Step on it and the car would take off with no jerking or bubbling sound (sound of exhaust over shadowed it).
Near home the jerking became worse as did the noise. Got home called dealer and
20160808_110032.jpg
they wanted it back so they paid the additional $600 to get it back.
Turned out to be #8 plug wire lost contact with plug. Hmmmmmm. Quality issue.

Another incident although not a sound from up front but to make the point that until something happens to provide more clues, it's a challenge to locate and resolve noises, odors etc.
This past weekend I began to notice a hot oil odor in the car when I came off the highway and slowed to a stop. The odor was periodic in city traffic. At the dealer to have GS late shipped parts and LPO's installed I reported the odor issue. Dealer said they couldn't repeat the situation so nothing done. On the way home from the dealer the odor appeared again. I figured is it oil then it must be coming fomr under the hood.

20160902_183531.jpg

And what I found was the passenger side PCV line had come off the dry sump tank housing cap, hence the oil odor as well as oil all over the cap. Now how'd that happen??

So AllFlash you need to look for more clues. Cant rely on the dealer Tech's as they are all learning like we are.

Yup... As for the noise underneath, I am going to tape it. It has been there for quite a while actually and is ONLY noticeable when crusing or at a steady speed around 90-100 km/h. There is some similarities to the flexplate TSB but, in other ways, there is not. As for the display... simple warranty issue but i always explore all options before bringing it in, especially since I know they will be tearing my dash up to fix this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread