thomas

I'm New Here
Feb 22, 2017
Kingston
VetteCoins
Car
1997 Corvette Coupe
I bought a 1997 Coupe last year. I took it to the track to see how well it worked. Launched out of 1st gear, rpm up to 6 grand, went to shift into 2nd and my clutch went right to the floor. I managed to get it into neutral and pulled over. I was able to pull the pedal up with my foot, and drive away. Car works under normal driving conditions. Any input about this??

Welcome to CCF @thomas

This is a fairly common problem with many C5s and C6s not to mention other GM cars that share clutch components.

Basically it's a flaw in the design of the hydraulic system that allows heat to build up and eventually push out the slave cylinder out of position. With enough movement the pressure plate forks will not have enough spring tension to force fluid into the master cylinder causing the pedal to stick.

There are many things you can do to resolve the issue or at least reduce it's likelihood of happening. List below is in order of complexity/cost:

First and foremost, clean fluid/bleed system - if you have not done this it's the first step

Drill mod: - if above doesn't help you can enlarge the restriction line that connects to the master cylinder.

Failing that you can buy aftermarket return spring kits.

• Informative
Reactions: Hotrodron
Welcome to the forum @thomas. Nik knows his stuff, as do a lot of the members here. I will add my 2 cents worth on cleaning your clutch fluid without bleeding the system (which is a PIA if you don't absolutely have to do it)

My C6 reservoir fluid when I got it was black as night and seemed to be mixed with soot as well... I changed mine myself by sucking the reservoir out with a turkey baster, then adding new fluid in to the fill line; then (with engine off) pump clutch 30 times; suck out reservoir again (it will be black again); fill with new fluid again and keep repeating this until the fluid remains clear after you pump the clutch the token 30 times.... word of warning though: do not pump the clutch with an empty reservoir. It will draw air into the system which is much more difficult to get rid of. If you do this, you will definitely have to bleed the air out of the system. Good Luck.

I bought a 1997 Coupe last year. I took it to the track to see how well it worked. Launched out of 1st gear, rpm up to 6 grand, went to shift into 2nd and my clutch went right to the floor. I managed to get it into neutral and pulled over. I was able to pull the pedal up with my foot, and drive away. Car works under normal driving conditions. Any input about this??
Hi Thomas,
I also had this problem. I tried the reservoir cleaning which didn't work. What worked for me was the purchase of Tick performance adjustable clutch master cylinder kit. I've had no problems since.

• Informative
Reactions: Hotrodron
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.