We need to meet up Kevin as soon as we have our cars, I have a Sebring orange Z51 coupe on order and live 1 hour from you. I was reading the 2019 canadian corvette brochure benefits of ownership and it states that all oil changes in the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty period are covered is this right? Hoping this will continue with 2020

We need to meet up Kevin as soon as we have our cars, I have a Sebring orange Z51 coupe on order and live 1 hour from you. I was reading the 2019 canadian corvette brochure benefits of ownership and it states that all oil changes in the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty period are covered is this right? Hoping this will continue with 2020
Sounds cool I can run up to Calabogie to watch you burn the tires hahahahahah.

This is what I got for Warranty info on my build sheet.

Attachments

• 20191212_191534.jpg
    20191212_191534.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 12
Iiiiiiinteresing...... 12,000km trans oil change intervals. We haven't had to do that since the 70's.

People aren't going to be happy with $500 oil changes. (Exaggerated)

• Scared
Reactions: OttawaKev
Hmmm, I wonder how much fluid the C8 trans holds?

Could get quite expensive if it’s a special spec fluid and somewhere around 5-10 liters a fill.

I also wonder if it’s going to have a filter, although 12,000 kms won’t give it much time to accumulate particles. I can see it being an every second or third trans service change if it do s have a filter.

I can see a lot of service managers fielding some “doesn’t process” customer questions when spark plugs go on 100k changes these days yet they’re doing trans fluid every 12K and engine oil every 6-7k (or by the oil monitor interval)...

Hmmm, I wonder how much fluid the C8 trans holds?

Could get quite expensive if it’s a special spec fluid and somewhere around 5-10 liters a fill.

I also wonder if it’s going to have a filter, although 12,000 kms won’t give it much time to accumulate particles. I can see it being an every second or third trans service change if it do s have a filter.

I can see a lot of service managers fielding some “doesn’t process” customer questions when spark plugs go on 100k changes these days yet they’re doing trans fluid every 12K and engine oil every 6-7k (or by the oil monitor interval)...
Glad I will only be putting about 2K a year on it :)

Maybe it will also be offered in the 2020 :)

Ya I put about 5K a year on my rigs G35 spring summer fall S60 Winter. I swap out the oil when I bring them out of the garage.

I fully expect it to be the same. All 2020 vehicles, so far, have the 4-year, 48,000km complimentary oil changes. You get 4 total to use, 5 if you have a dry-sump (because of the 800km break-in change).

I suggest to my Corvette customers to get one done when you put it into storage and one when you take it out - taking out is more important because oil can settle and separate.

I fully expect it to be the same. All 2020 vehicles, so far, have the 4-year, 48,000km complimentary oil changes. You get 4 total to use, 5 if you have a dry-sump (because of the 800km break-in change).

I suggest to my Corvette customers to get one done when you put it into storage and one when you take it out - taking out is more important because oil can settle and separate.
CRIPES hahahahah would you need to do a double if you start it up for like 10 mins every month is the off season?

Umm, not to be contrary, but "old fashioned" automatics have clutches and pressure plates also running in the fluid. Lock up on torque convertors are the same deal: friction disc running on a pressure plate in the torque convertor and running in trans fluid. Smaller diameter than a manual, but there's multiple clutches, so same (if not more) friction material to beat up the fluid. They deal with slippage and heat just like any other "wet clutch" system.

It's also easy to make a manual shift automatic though both mechanical and electronic means. manual valve body or if the trns is electronic; it's a simple coding change. My 2016 f-150 is a 6 peed auto that I can shift like a standard any time I want with the flick of a switch. They typically run out to the 100K mark before OEMs recommend fluid/filter change. And in my truck, good luck punishing the fluid harder in a C8 than my auto does when I'm pulling a 9,000-10,000 lb trailer.

A manual shift automatic is not exactly "new" technology....even if GM is touting it as so and using a little different scheme from what's been used so far.

Biggest difference I see in their ad hype is the speed at which it will "manual shift". Of course, that it's rear mounted and a "transaxle" is also different from what could be considered an "old fashioned" automatic.

I'm going to wager the heat management scheme isn't shedding the heat as quickly as they had hoped. That's a reasonable assumption given the fact the entire drivetrain is buried in the rear of the body. if you want to drastically shorten the life of automatic trans fluid; overheat it or run it hard and hot for a prolonged time.

With "rear everything" in a C8, all the cooling has to be done by trying to route air in to the bay or getting the fluid out of the bay to a cooler of some sort. Getting the fluid out to a cooler is actually a great cooling scheme as anytime you can get it out of the component for a longer time will bean more temp delta. It also means the system can hold more fluid, which also helps with cooling. Combine the rear mounting with the usual "fuel saving" fluids (IE: thin) they use these days, and it likely ads up to a decreased life expectancy for the fluid.

Of course, that's all just speculation on my part. But it's based on roughly 40 years of automotive/engineering experienceand understanding how this stuff work on the "micro" level. That's 40 years of working on them, not just owning/driving/admiring them.......;)
Good points , thank you

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread