C5Pashon

I'm New Here
Oct 11, 2014
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1999 C5
New to the forum. Bought a 99 manual in May and I recently had the tranny fluid changed. The shop put GM Dexron VI. Its not shifting very smooth. On checking the internet I've read it should have manual trans fluid. I have contacted GM dealers in my area who say Dex VI is the correct fluid.I was made aware of a GM Dexron bulletin that states the bulletin has been revised to say that the Dex VI may be good for some manual transmissions and to check the owners manual. Not a very definitive statement. How do you know who's correct. Some say its bad on paper blockers others say there's no problem. I'm questioning whether or not to leave that fluid in the tranny all winter during storage.
Has anyone dealt with this where a GM bulletin states one thing and the GM dealers say the opposite
There is a revised GM bulletin 04-07-30-037D
Thanks

Dave

Welcome to the forum Dave. I will pull the manual for my 03 in the morning and see what they say about it. I had my transmission fluid changed recently by DaSilva's and it shifts just a smooth if not a little more silky.

Maybe shoot Manny an email in the morning and ask him. He is always really good at responding.

Best of luck with your new to you car.

It is not always good to check in the owner's manual, after 11 or 15 years it may have change to a different fluid to fix early problems. I checked in shop key (snapon technical information) and dexronIII is listed. Dexron IV is the next generation, you can use the dexronIV where dexronIII is listed but not III where VI is listed. Check whit Manny to confirme.

Stephane :seeya:

Actually guys we have been using the Penzoil full sythic transmission fluid for a couple of years and it has proven to be very reliable :D

Manny

I brought the revised bulletin to a GM dealer today where I had been told Dex VI is the proper fluid. I was then told to use the GM manual transmission fluid. Unreal, the lack of a general answer to this issue. I have contacted four GM dealers in my area who said Dex VI. By the way I live in Oshawa the home of General Motors of Canada. I called a Corvette dealer in Scarborough who said use the GM manual transmission fluid.
I called Mr.Lube, Jiffy Lube, Mister transmission who all said their computers call for the manual transmission fluid. Who is right? How many C5's have the wrong fluid? I've asked my mechanic to change mine to the manual fluid. He gave me the pissy attitude as if to say I am insulting him by not accepting his view of the Dex VI that he put in the tranny.
Hopefully I'm not causing issues by changing back to the GM MTF.

Manny is working on these cars all the time and should have a pretty good handle on what works based on feed back. If something doesn't work too well, people let you know very quickly. I would think that GM would have a pretty good handle on things too. After all, they are the ones who have to warranty the cars.

Funny how you can't get a straight answer from GM. I sort of had the same thing with my clutch fluid. I bought actual clutch fluid from GM when I first changed it and now the dealership recommends brake fluid. I've heard they are the same thing, I've heard clutch fluid has some lubrication properties to keep it from sqeaking.... etc, etc. It would be nice to have a straight answer, eh?

Anyway, Do you have a part number for the manual trans fluid? I changed my tranny fluid last Spring. The stuff looked brand new but I can't remember if it was Manual Transmission Fluid or Dextron.... There was also no improvement in shifting that I could tell.....or any point to this post from what I can tell after I read it........:D

tranny fluid

Hi Riley I've been away. Thanks for the reply. Just had the fluid changed from the Dexron VI to the Manual Transmission fluid. It was a nice day here yesterday and took my vette for a late fall drive. It could me my brain but I believe the shifts were much better. I put ACDelco p/n#88861801 manual fluid as the bulletin called for. I felt better for doing it and hope it was a good decision.

Dave

Looking at these old threads is way better than just asking the same old question. Anyone have any updates on what they use, I'm leaning towards what Manny is using

No update from my end. I believe the last time I changed, I just used the stuff from the dealership. It'll be a while before I change it again, however, my brake and clutch fluid on the other hand, I need to change that asap.

Reactions: ariker
No update from my end. I believe the last time I changed, I just used the stuff from the dealership. It'll be a while before I change it again, however, my brake and clutch fluid on the other hand, I need to change that asap.

Brake fluid and clutch fluid. Thanks a million buddy. Now I want to do more, and I'm selling this car!!!

I would recommend Amsoil. Check on there web page and they will tell you the proper fluid.

Copied this from another site for:

Amsoil synthetic ATF and Amsoil torque drive synthetic ATF are THE ONLY synthetic transmission fluids compatible with the pre-2001 m6 transmissions. It is the only synthetic ATF that has additives to counteract the swelling of cellulose compounds that occurs when they are exposed to synthetic ATF.

The cellulose components are the blocker rings (replaced with carbon fiber in 2001), and if you use anything but traditional petroleum based DexIII ATF or the above listed Amsoil fluids, you are ruining your transmission. Using the wrong fluid is not something you will notice until about a year or two after the fact, and it cannot be reversed without a rebuild.

Amsoil torque drive synthetic is the better of the 2 Amsoil fluids, and is hands down the absolute best fluid you can put in your pre-2001 m6 transmission. Personally, I would still use it in a 2001+ m6 or m12, and many people do.

Last edited:
I read a few articles that highly recommended Redline D4 ATF for the C5 manual trans , so just drained mine in my '02 and used this....hope it works out ! One thing tho , I watched a video about changing it and the guy said to fill it through a plug hole on the pass side that has a sensor on it. On my trans it plainly says "FILL" on another hole on the drivers side . The hole on the pass side is a bit higher so seems to me that would put too much fluid in it, so I filled it through the hole where it's marked "FILL".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.