Postie

Feb 28, 2009
Cold lake, Alberta
VetteCoins
Hey Manny and guys

So I was travelling across canada to come to Ont over the last few days and I noticed that my passenger rear tire has lost like all the tread. Meaning I have like 10% left. basically have to replace it now. Now the other driver side rear has 80%.

Both tires are the Michelins Pilot Sport 2's. Put them on last year.

What would cause that to happen? The wear is even across the tire, No scalloping at all and neither side of the tire has more wear than the other side. IE inside and outside.

Would useing the Traction Control in dry weather all the time at high speeds do that to a tire like that? I do notice that when I start the car the Traction Control is always on till I manually turn it off each time.

Ideas?

The T/C defaults to on and should stay on (in most cases).
Any messages in DIC or lights to get a code from?

Do you turn off the T/C every time you drive it?

Makes me wonder if you have a brake dragging too.

C.

Well as I was in a backup in Chicago, the car would roll easily when in neutral when taken the hand brake off. It's a Manual. So i'm pretty sure it's not dragging, I was thinking that too as it would req me to put it in gear some to roll.

Well I'm now learning more about the T/C, and yes as soon as I start it I turn it off. In the past I just left it on, and really it could have been wearing and me not noticing it to that degree. so now I see the light and DIC thats says It's off. It seemed to help with the rest of the trip with the wear some

There hasn't been any Codes or warnings that something is out of the norm.

Tks CCO

Really odd one , the TC would really not cause onse side to wear and not the other .
No codes is good so think that you have an ailgnment issue . Or possibly an ebrake shoe that has seized .

I hear ya on how odd it is. I agree Manny I dont see the TC doing it. Still though I wont use it in dry pavement. I'm replacing the tire and going to have a 4 wheel alignment done to make sure thats good.
Could you know the ebrake shoe is seized by lifting that tire or both tires off the ground to see if it rotates easily?

I hear ya on how odd it is. I agree Manny I dont see the TC doing it. Still though I wont use it in dry pavement. I'm replacing the tire and going to have a 4 wheel alignment done to make sure thats good.
Could you know the ebrake shoe is seized by lifting that tire or both tires off the ground to see if it rotates easily?

Yes , with the car lifted you should be able to spin both rear wheels in neutral .

I agree on the alignment, but you'd probably notice your car pulling one way or the other with such decisive wear on one side, no?

Just curious--how many kilometers have you driven since you put the tires on last year?

Could your rim be warped?

There are alignment characteristics that could cause wear without being sensed by the driver. People normally only consider toe as the only issue because it is typically the most noticeable but caster and camber could also affect tire wear without necessarily causing the car to pull left or right.

I'm gearing more to the alignment as well, however unless I noticed it visually I would have never known. There were no indications anything was wrong., no pulling , dragging or feel that was any dif, or codes. It's really odd.

If the rim was warped it wouldnt balance i'm sure and I would have been informed
I have about 18k's on the rears and a we bit more on the fronts. all have lots of tread,

I have driven from alberta to ont twice as well. lots o hiway miles

New tire is in so i'll change it up and get a 4 wheel alignment. I guess just have to find a place that can do it in Kingston

I'm gearing more to the alignment as well, however unless I noticed it visually I would have never known. There were no indications anything was wrong., no pulling , dragging or feel that was any dif, or codes. It's really odd.

If the rim was warped it wouldnt balance i'm sure and I would have been informed
I have about 18k's on the rears and a we bit more on the fronts. all have lots of tread,

I have driven from alberta to ont twice as well. lots o hiway miles

New tire is in so i'll change it up and get a 4 wheel alignment. I guess just have to find a place that can do it in Kingston

Get it done asap

Well I have been actually looking at other reasons for why this would occur and over the last few weeks I have been actually having issues with a chatter, clunk, noise from the rear end on slow speed corners. Had some mechanics look at why and could not figure out. I searched online and look what I tracked down.

Date: 01-09-2008
TSB: #07-04-20-002A
Document ID# 2048181

2005 - 2008 Chevrolet Corvette

Subject: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns
(Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid) #07-04-20-002A - (01/09/2008)

I just changed the Rear Dif oil with Dexron LS Gear Oil, with friction additive and the noise stopped immediatly and sounds nice and quiet. They say that the clutch plate in the Dif was catching and I think thats why the one side wasn't really rotating normally around corners and wearing more.
I'm thinking that with all tires wearing normal ie, no excesive wear inside or outside and no scaloping that no wheel alignment is really req. I will keep an eye for now.
but for everyone else that may not know about changing the rear dif oil it may happen to you.

Well I have been actually looking at other reasons for why this would occur and over the last few weeks I have been actually having issues with a chatter, clunk, noise from the rear end on slow speed corners. Had some mechanics look at why and could not figure out. I searched online and look what I tracked down.

Date: 01-09-2008
TSB: #07-04-20-002A
Document ID# 2048181

2005 - 2008 Chevrolet Corvette

Subject: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns
(Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid) #07-04-20-002A - (01/09/2008)

I just changed the Rear Dif oil with Dexron LS Gear Oil, with friction additive and the noise stopped immediatly and sounds nice and quiet. They say that the clutch plate in the Dif was catching and I think thats why the one side wasn't really rotating normally around corners and wearing more.
I'm thinking that with all tires wearing normal ie, no excesive wear inside or outside and no scaloping that no wheel alignment is really req. I will keep an eye for now.
but for everyone else that may not know about changing the rear dif oil it may happen to you.

As a proud owner of a 2005 Coupe, I found your post interesting and informative--thanks for this!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.