I'm not sure why they cite insurance, I would imagine the battery and hybrid cars are no more dangerous than the cars they run already. It's likely just related to the fact that the insurance companies don't have any historical data on how safe hybrid vehicles are to race. Maybe with additional historical safety information they'll get more comfortable with it. I know that electric vehicles are at least as safe or safer than gasoline vehicles in terms of public driving.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
I'm not sure why they cite insurance, I would imagine the battery and hybrid cars are no more dangerous than the cars they run already. It's likely just related to the fact that the insurance companies don't have any historical data on how safe hybrid vehicles are to race. Maybe with additional historical safety information they'll get more comfortable with it. I know that electric vehicles are at least as safe or safer than gasoline vehicles in terms of public driving.
I was told it was because of the inability of the fire crews on site to fight an electrical fire.

I was told it was because of the inability of the fire crews on site to fight an electrical fire.
That's a cop out if I've ever heard one. Any car can have an electrical fire and all fire crews have ABC fire extinguishers!

Fighting an EV fire is quite unlike fighting an ICE type fire. Don't kid yourself, these electrical fires burn out of control at extremely high temperatures. Firefighters, tow truck operators, and even some police departments and first responder operations are receiving courses on how to approach and handle these situations. This is serious stuff involving many strange and unusual chemicals, most are toxic. No one is singling out E-ray Vettes, all EVs pose a serious problem until we all get familiar with them all. This is new technology, give it time.

Here is a fun read on how tough it can be to extinguish an EV fire. NTSB EV Fire Review
Everyone should read that before they go slamming race tracks for banning EV's. Insurance Companies aren't gonna like the risk. And I doubt there is the water supply required all the way around a track to deal with a serious EV wreck. Tesla says 8000 gallons.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread