Featured Thread
Jan 26, 2018
Orford, Qc
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette HTC 2023
Province
QC
I got a quote for a tow hook from my GM dealer. They are asking for $165 plus taxes for the part number 15234068.
It is a bit ridiculous as it is only a threaded hook.
I have done one for less than $30. I bought a 1 meter long threaded rod (minimum lenght to buy), a threaded coupling and an eye bolt (M20*2.5).
I screwed both the rod and the eye bolt into the coupling and used Red thread locker (Loctite) to secure it.
I have sprayed black paint on it and added a heat shrink on the unused thread portion of the rod.
This toe hook will do the job if I ever need to use it.
Maybe it is not as nice as the original part but remember that it is hidden into the trunk most of the time and when it is time to use it then nobody cares for the look.

Tow hook.JPG

Great job and looks professional. the saved $$ can go to another project! Just questioning when you plan on getting stuck??

• Agree
Reactions: Hotrodron
FyI Mid 2015 (produced before Jan. 2015 I believe) and earlier models do not have the nut to receive the tow hook. It's possible to add the nut but you must remove the bumper cover to install it.

For those who are not as blessed to be able to fabricate their own (nice work by the way :thumbs: ) I have a couple of links.
For some 2015 and 2016-2019 Corvettes ...
Found that GM Part 15234068 is only stocked in Montreal at the moment so it is expensive to get at a Dealership Parts Desk at $185 MSRP.
Not sure if this will be one of those C7 accessory parts available until stock is gone things now that the C8 is in production.

To each their own and for those who do not want a full-time and rather visible "nose ring" accessory and prefer
the GM "part-for-the-task" that can be stored in the made-for and out-of-sight under the back hatch mat (battery cover) area.
Here are a couple of links for Calgary & Red Deer GMParts Online local pickup options (shipping is available) that currently show a discount in the $130 range.

Calgary Local Pickup (shipping available)

Red Deer Local Pickup (shipping available)

Perhaps others in the Edmonton Area and across the Country can post their local website link that would offer a discount for this GM Part 15234068 only
(feel free to post other non-GMPart tow hooks in a different thread - please).

Last edited:
I decided after a little research to buy the OEM GM tow hook # 15234068. My concern from some of the on-line hooks is that they are just decorative. ( Not all of them of course).
Additionally the GM hook has been forged and that makes for a very strong and robust unit.
BizBiz911 did a great job on a home made unit. My fear is that on an off angle tow....would it bend ?
I worked with GM Parts depot out of Ottawa and paid $ 130 + HST.
I hope I never use it....but just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_1726414.jpg
    IMG_20210315_1726414.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20210315_1727091.jpg
    IMG_20210315_1727091.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20210315_1728407.jpg
    IMG_20210315_1728407.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: 12cents and YFCvii
I decided after a little research to buy the OEM GM tow hook # 15234068. My concern from some of the on-line hooks is that they are just decorative. ( Not all of them of course).
Additionally the GM hook has been forged and that makes for a very strong and robust unit.
BizBiz911 did a great job on a home made unit. My fear is that on an off angle tow....would it bend ?
I purchased the same functional item too and it is outta sight unless needed in the hidden made-for location.
Along with an AMA/CAA/AAA membership, I think I am good to go everywhere I want to in my Corvette Season :thumbs:

A/S tire replacements are up next only so that I can extend my Season ... :thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: OL Yeller

Like Bizbiz911, I made my own tow hook but for a C8 and it looks very similar. There's NO WAY it would ever bend. The steel rod is high density forged steel (best available, barring what NASA might use, LOL) as is the tow hook itself and the coupler, with a weight capacity far greater than the Corvette. I was careful when dealing with the specialty "nuts & bolts" shop where I purchased all the components, to verify that. I suspect it's the identical steel used for the OEM tow hook. But for those who don't enjoy "having fun with tools" or don't mind spending the dough for the OEM version, go for it.

A word of caution. The manual for the C8 (I've not seen what the C7 manual says) warns you not to use the tow hook if the car is stuck in mud or otherwise made a lot harder to pull. I suspect using a tow hook under those circumstances could rip out that part of the Corvette where the tow hook is screwed in to, so the car itself will fail before the tow hook. Happy motoring and here's hoping we'll all never need to use a tow hook!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.