This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

tips & tricks

on your next trip to the dentist ask him to save you old picks he is going to dispose of. they are good quality and are very handy around the shop, especially at the parts washer. :seeya:

Very true, Doug. I have several. Just be careful, people. They're very sharp and god knows what was in some people's mouths.

trying to get a bolt started in an awkward spot is tricky if the bolt keeps dropping out of the socket. putting grease in the socket works but what a mess. a bit of kleen-ex around the bolt head will friction fit it nicely in the socket. :seeya:

When cleaning windows streaks are always a problem. Most guys have a product or formula that they like to use, but how do you know if the streak left behind is on the inside or the outside. Try cleaning the outside with a side to side motion and the inside with an up and down motion. Then when you do see a streak, you will know which side of the window to attack.

have you ever been curious as to the weight of your car ? gravel pits have drive on scales and will weigh your car for you. of course it may be easier for us rural guys than city dwellers, but it is another reason to go for a cruise, right ? :seeya:

need to lift your car a bit in a confined area ? i welded a piece of steel plate to a scissor jack to create a good footprint. it slips under the frame easily and does'nt require much working area. this will make it easy to block the frame. it is light weight and portable so it is also handy for trailers and such.

Canadian Tire has scissor jacks on sale till Jan. 10th. now for $10.40 each. The scissor jack from my 2005 Honda will go under my C5 and also has room for two hockey pucks on top of it for lifting.One on either side near the front and you can lift it high enough to just slide the rhino ramps under the wheels. And then likewise the back wheels. Just use another person so the car gets lifted equally at one time.

Since I am not running Run flats. I carry a scissor Jack from a 2006 VW Jetta, a couple of jacking pucks, Z06 tire inflation kit, Tire repair kit, and a piece of Blue Styrofoam with a ramp angle cut into it. (this is to drive on, to raise the Vette enough to get the jack under it). Also a half inch drive ratchet with the socket to fit my TSW Rim nut key.

Sounds like allot of stuff but it all fits in the middle well in the hatch of the C5with lots of room to spare.

Most important, I never leave home without my CAA Card.

Most important, I never leave home without my CAA Card.

Me too.

Here's another great use for a lift.

I'm getting antsy to start another body-off project. The last time I did one, eight of us picked up the body, while others rolled out the chassis and rolled in a wooden dolly made to fit the body.

Next time, I'll simply drive under the 4-post lift, disconnect everything and use the lift to raise the body.....all by myself.

when using box end wrenches some jobs give you the willies thinking about the 12 points, like sockets, rounding off bolt heads. i invested in some 6 points. they are good insurance in situations that require a box end. they are difficult to find and pricey, mine are snap-on. but for as often as i use them they have paid for themselves, plus you only by them once.

Users who are viewing this thread