corsvette

2 You're 10
Nov 15, 2009
strathmore
VetteCoins
Car
It's time for a new truck! Man, have this segment ever become competitive. I run a 2008 F150 right now that just had a heart transplant at 150,000km. That said the time is right to sell it!

Anybody here own or drive a 2014 GM truck yet? Looking for some real world feedback on how they are. I plan to test drive one this week.Really curious about how the ecotec 3 performs.

Own a RAM? Again, looking for some owner opinions and actual fuel mileage.

Also might consider another Ford, no ecoboom though, my neighbour has one that he's not so happy with. Why buy a complicated twin turbo 6cyl that gets V8 like fuel economy? Never driven a 5.0L yet though.

The forums are so freaking baiased its not even funny, very strong loyalty among Ford/GM/Mopar guys. Of course I've had good luck with my GM's, but just want to see what owners think of their pickemups.

Drove a Tundra my cousin owned, nice truck, lots of grunt, only negative I could find was the rather odd looking dash. The current desingn is getting a bit old and the redesigned truck looks much the same as the old truck with some Ridgeline infuence in the headlamps. Interior is vastly improved though. I might take one for a drive.....I'm just not really a Toyota person, just can't seem to get excited over anything they build.

i get excited that my truck isn't in the shop all the time.....unlike the chevs and fords i have had. i have enough buddies with dodges that they don't interest me either. my wife's 04 rav4 now has over 200k and has never had anything other than routine maintenance.

I owned a 01 Tahoe that went 250k with zero issues, and had most of the original parts and no rust .
I have a 11 Yukon that is 24 mpg on the hwy and is among the top of the JD Power list for quality.
I know people who have spent BIG money on their Tundras and have trouble with the 4 wheel drive when it is cold.
They had to replace the rad and water pump to the tune of $1500 at 120 k
I also had 4 Chev pick ups with no problems.
I personally will not buy any thing not made by GM or Ford.

I'm also in the market and reading all the reviews .I Bought a 2004 F250 6.0 diesel which was the worse truck I've ever owned .So Im with ya check everything out for all the right reasons .$30,000 isn't hay .I'll watch this Thread

I owned a 01 Tahoe that went 250k with zero issues, and had most of the original parts and no rust .
I have a 11 Yukon that is 24 mpg on the hwy and is among the top of the JD Power list for quality.
I know people who have spent BIG money on their Tundras and have trouble with the 4 wheel drive when it is cold.
They had to replace the rad and water pump to the tune of $1500 at 120 k
I also had 4 Chev pick ups with no problems.
I personally will not buy any thing not made by GM or Ford.

Well, my Cousin was a die hard Toyota fan, had 5 new Yota's from 91 till the Tundra which was replaced by a Sierra. I don't want to start an tundra bash but yes, he had plenty of troubles with his. That, and the thing guzzled gas like a big block V8. Other than the issues my Ford has suffered (5.4 timing chain tensioner let go) I've gotten absolutely faultess service from my domestic trucks.

We also have a GMC Yukon that has 180,000 kms without any repair shop time, I really don't see any point buying a import pickup with their "premium" pricetag, IMO they are no longer any more reliable than domestics.

Had a spin in a 2013 ram today, very impressive truck indeed! The ride from that air/coil suspension is as smooth as a luxury car. Going to try the GM on Saturday.

With all the members on here and everybody needs a new vehicle from time to time, we should have a GM , Ford, Chrysler dealer, that as a corvette owners and forum members when buying we will ask them to price for us. If a few buy it might save somebody some money. If they give forum members a little break it may work for them also.

Ecoboost gets rave reviews from everyone I talked too. I will ONLY own a Ford. I use my truck everyday. 2010 F150 4x4 with 215,000 km and it still runs and looks new. This is my sixth one, and they have been really great. I regularly change the oil....that is the key (and I don't baby it, it is a frikken TRUCK). My only gripe is the 4.6 V8, worse fuel mileage than the 5.4 I used to have, but hey, I don't actually pay for gas. Dodge look pretty but have horrific driveline issues if you actually haul anything. Chevy are overpriced and not as reliable....Tundras are nice, but $ and cost of service prohibits me from trying it.

Ecoboost gets rave reviews from everyone I talked too. I will ONLY own a Ford. I use my truck everyday. 2010 F150 4x4 with 215,000 km and it still runs and looks new. This is my sixth one, and they have been really great. I regularly change the oil....that is the key (and I don't baby it, it is a frikken TRUCK). My only gripe is the 4.6 V8, worse fuel mileage than the 5.4 I used to have, but hey, I don't actually pay for gas. Dodge look pretty but have horrific driveline issues if you actually haul anything. Chevy are overpriced and not as reliable....Tundras are nice, but $ and cost of service prohibits me from trying it.

I hate to have to agree with Range; the best trucks I have ever owned were Fords. My old 80 Chevy was also good mechanically, but rusted away. My F150 was great. Never a problem in 200 plus K. Key is maintain them. I currently have a Ranger, a second one. Liked the first one so much I bought another. Too bad they have discontinued them. This 06 has 170K on it and when I am done with it will likely go to another F150. I also hear great things about the Ecoboost.

Just sold my 2008 avalanche with 210,000 kilometres on it. Will miss it, but here's what I notice about trucks--in my opinion.

FORD. Eco boost engines are garbage and not really any more fuel efficient. They are certainly more expensive to fix though. That said, Ford trucks are pretty rugged, stylish, and popular, with both consumers and thieves alike. The upper most trims are quite nice, and I really like the air conditioned seats in the platinum edition. I can't see why anyone would want to advertise Harley Davidson on their truck.

TOYOTA. Certainly the best 1/4 ton truck on the planet. All models are built well. The Tundra is also a great truck, although the stylinges, like a lot of other Toyotas leaves you wanting a little more. This truck will go forever, but is a beast on gas. At the end of the day, Toyota makes a great truck, but you can get a great 1/2 ton for the price of their 1/4 ton. To me, I think they're overpriced but the quality is there.

DODGE. Cheap trucks unless you want a full ton diesel. If so, you have the best engine and drivetrain on the road. If not, they're the cheapest trucks out there, and I also find most of the douchebag rednecks driving them around here. It pains me to say it too, as I love old Mopar muscle. The ratio of guys driving with the testicles from their hitch is in-proportionately favouring Dodge trucks.

GM. Middle of the road although a huge fan of the Avalanche. Part of me thinks they discontinued them because they were built too good. I fact, I read that as far as builds go, the Honda Ridgeline and the Avalanche were two trucks that you could easily put 400,000 miles on. I think GM trucks are great for hi way cruising, providing the nicest ride of the bunch. They sit a little lower than a Ford, and aren't quite as tow-capable at the 1/2 ton level. That was the trade off I wanted, as my Avy drove like a car. Very smooth on the Hiway.

NISSAN. I love Nissans, but read consumer reports on the Titan. The worst built half-ton truck on the road.

Hope the information/opinion is valuable, I'm from truck country, Alberta. There's a ton on the road, and people are very partial to their brands. Am I right abut what I've said? That's for you to decide. Good luck with the next truck!

Last edited:
toyota 1/4 ton vince ???? my tundra dbl cab long box routinely carries a half cord of firewood and you wouldn't know it was there. it can launch boats in the 25-30 foot range and not get pulled into the water like i have seen happen to other trucks. it weighs 6000 lb and i registered it overweight because of some of the loads i carry. in rural driving i get 19 mpg which to me is acceptable considering its size and weight. how does one go about finding one of these 1/4 ton toyotas ??? :confused:

I was doing prototype work fo the new Tacoma and I can assure you that they are well made. Yes, styling can be a bit bland and most Toyota models are overpriced compared to the competition, but are a good product and Toyota throws money at this model because of it's track record. People buy these for a reason and Toyota doesn't want to lose that reputation.
That being said I have an '06 Avanlanche and love it. They extra weight built into the box makes it handle snow and winter condtions with no problem. I don't have to load the box up with sand like I did with a regular pick up.
I have no experience with the F150's but I'm a huge fan of the styling. Eco boost is a cool concept but if it's not all that it's cracked up to be then I would go with the 5.0L.
A few guys I work with have Dodge Rams and love them. Hard on gas bit nice styling and huge interior.
Just depends on what you like and are willing to spend. Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

One reason to do research is that all the models are up grading .What was go is not necessarily good today or even tomorrow .Therefore I'm not thinking brand but whats going to give me longevity without a lot of repairs and operation cost .

There was a large puddle of oil from my 6.0 Ford this morning ,what a piece of chit with no trade in value .

Buckhorn76 what is the reason for the 6000lb weight?

My Silverado 2500 HD Ext cab long box with the Duramax weighs in at 6900 lb and gives me in the range of 24 mpg hwy

I owned a couple Rangers back in the 80's until Ford Oakville told me it was my fault the power steering hose rusted out in 2 years because I drove it :confused: haven't looked at a FORD since

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.