Jan 11, 2009
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province
SK
The fine print

I decided to try Hot Rod magazine again, based on a tempting offer that was (TADA!) for Canadians. Twelve issues for $20, without the usual added on outrageous postage rates to Canada.

Rather than use the paper form they sent me, I decided to accept their offer online. As usual, I read the fine print, and there it was....

"Preferred Automatic Renewal Program: We will continue to renew your Source Interlink subscription at the rate then in effect, without interruption, unless you tell us to stop."

Funny that didn't appear on the paper form they sent me. The automatic renewal price would more than quadruple, next year, UNLESS I CONTACTED THEM TO CANCEL.

That's when I backed off and carried on my way. This dude don't play no negative billing games. Bye-bye Hot Rod.

Rogers tried that game some years ago and learned a lesson.

There is something really weird with the Thread you started Bob. All I get is a white background with the forum banner. No area to edit/reply/anything! Crazy! Did the Russian meteor hit as you submitted the thread? :rofl:

So I thought I would copy and paste your thread here so people can reply.

As for my reply, there are so many companies (mostly credit card) that call to offer "free" insurance for 6 months. Then they state I have to call and cancel the insurance otherwise they start charging x amount. I wish more companies were like, "you are such a valued customer, this payment is on us". Or we have this special rate going on right now with no strings! :D

Once Bitten

Do these people have any idea how much they turn people off with their fine print scams. I've had my fun with a couple magazine subscriptions over the years and just stay clear of them all. As far as the car magazines go any more, they are nothing more than a series of infomercials for any given product. You are not really getting an honest assessment of the products.

Careful. Some of us on here make our living off of printing magazines. :(

oh boy -- this is the trouble with the internet: you never know who's listening or who's toes you're tromping on. ;)

............I actually subscribe to 2 mags: Corvette magazine and Motor Trend.
At least the Corvette mag is an excellent mag and quite popular and I like M/T too.

The renewals on those 2 are always asked about and not automatic.

C.

oh boy -- this is the trouble with the internet: you never know who's listening or who's toes you're tromping on. ;)

............I actually subscribe to 2 mags: Corvette magazine and Motor Trend.
At least the Corvette mag is an excellent mag and quite popular and I like M/T too.

The renewals on those 2 are always asked about and not automatic.

C.

It's OK, I understand. It is what it is. The internet has changed a lot of business models. You guys that are retired can count your blessings for not having to worry about these things anymore.

bang on greg, i got hi tech'd right out of litho in 2001. i had no interest in trading my skill level for the desk top pre-press stuff, so i just took a flier and started swingin' wrenches for a couple of buddies. way less stressful too !!!

It's OK, I understand. It is what it is. The internet has changed a lot of business models. You guys that are retired can count your blessings for not having to worry about these things anymore.

True Greg -- we've already paid our dues ...... :D

No doubt there are many in the business who are hard working and deserve a lot of credit and kudos for what they do. The few who are less than honourable ruin it for everyone in the business.

C.

And the people starting off businesses don't have to worry much either as they are developing their business along with the internet!

Really, this isn't about magazines but more about companies giving what appears to be a very good deal and not fully explaining the terms completely.

Members belonging to this forum are subjected to $100 renewal fees on their yearly anniversary or can pay with at least one compliment to the moderator. They must state how awesome the moderator is and make him feel super special.

kind of like costco's arrangement with american express. after i had paid my renewal fee a couple of years back costco sent me notice that i was receiving an amex card. ok, one day it arrived with instructions on activating it. i had no use for the card so i didn't bother with the activation. now every year at costco membership renewal time i get a bill from amex. tell me how this can be done with a card that was never activated ? :confused:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread