Radiohead

Casual User
Oct 1, 2016
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2010 C6
Hey all,

Got the C6 out a few weeks ago, but this was the first semi-nice weekend in TO to really enjoy some seat time. I noticed my car was really noisy, which is something I did not notice last fall before storing for the winter season. Any way, I narrowed it down to the targa top and did a little research and came across this post on the US Corvette Forum.

Targa Top Creaking, Popping, Squeaking FIXED!! - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

After reviewing the forum post, I went to Canadian Tire today was picked up some dielctric grease & O rings. Followed the direction in the thread: Tightened up the posts on the Targa top, coated the weather striping and posts with the dielectric grease and added the little O-rings to the posts. Quiet as a mouse now :)

I searched the Canadian Forum and did not find a solution, so I thought I would share. This is likely something I will do annually going forward.

Thanks all

On my C6, I also went the dielectric grease route except I only put it on the posts where they inserted into the receiving slots, and also on the rear latch mechanism. I didn't use the grease on the weather stripping and elected to just use silicone lubricant on then. I didn't put on the extra O-rings although I had heard of that remedy as well. The grease and the silicon did the trick for me. Touch wood my C7 doesn't develop the same creaking ...

I think the trick is just to not let anybody talk about such a thing within earshot of your car. I've had my TA for 11 years with no squeaks or rattles, and drove my Corvette for four summers with nary a peep until a week after Tim got his Corvette and started talking about this issue. Now both cars make noise. Prick!

Reactions: Keith Tedford
So I just tried the o rings and dielectric grease routine. First I tried the 1/2"od 1/4"id but it was way to small and tore putting it on. So I went with the injector o rings and they fit perfect. I'll let you know the results tomorrow.

Help! Tried the o-ring trick and now it creaks worse than ever. What are the torx screws that people talk about tightening? I heard of four, but only see the two (one in each of the front levers) do you just tighten them so that they are snug in the open position? Thanks.

Hmmm.... maybe I won't be trying the o-ring trick afterall when I get back home from work. Did you try the heatshrink, DCT? It has to be double wall (has adhesive inside) otherwise it comes off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.