ya. its the first thing they do is pull all the codes. some are ok and will pass. this one won't. the GM tech said there was no signal from the SWPS at all. They were gonna try a re-centering but couldn't without a signal.
I've gone through the ground connections and cleaned them up- 4 that I know of.- will have to find out where the 5th is?
I found a used sensor on ebay and ordered it. Hopefully it is still good. still can't seem to track down a new replacement/aftermarket, there were 2 outfits that made them for my year. but no-one has any that I've seen so far.
now I wait for the parts delivery truck... lots of waiting involved with this car.......patience, man , patience.

Marty, thoughts with you. It must be frustrating.

One way or another you will get this sorted and be back on the road.

Do you have a manual for the car? Might be a good investment if you can find one.

Murray

Could be only 4 grounds. It was a long time since I researched them. Sounds like you've done a good bit of research and as such, you'll be our resident expert in the SWPS saga.
Totally sucks to hear about this situation though as I can only imagine the frustration. Lucky for me this happened after the provincial inspection.
I'm all ears waiting to hear if the new/used part works!

As for someone recreating this part, from all my reading, there is a huge opportunity here but the biggest limitations is that no one seems to know the signal output (which shouldn't be too hard for someone seriously motivated to figure out) but once you start making the part, if it fails and sends a signal causing the AH to brake a wheel which causes an accident, who's liable and wants to face that potential lawsuit?

I got a used one off ebay for 300.00. should be here any day. have to decide if I want to do the R+R myself or bring it to my mechanic. it'll probably be his first one, same as me. He has to sign off on the inspection anyway so it has to go in regardless. could save myself a few hundred bucks though.

I was a bad boy and took it out for a rip anyway today, still have the transit sticker, it's expired but.... had it all cleaned up and waxed, polished the wheels... couldn't resist. my brother had his lotus 7 out for a "blatt". Everyone was looking at him anyway, ignoring the silver corvette. It's a really cool little car. I just needed to feel the kick from the 425 ponies a few times.

Reactions: MikeysZ06
pic at Saskatoon lake.

E93C091C-.jpg

as it turns out, the c 1288 code I was getting for the swps was tripped because it was not receiving the 5v reference from the ebcm, so now I am having to track down another discontinued part, buy one used for waaay too much $. and install, cross fingers and hope it finally goes right.

so I have a good steering wheel position sensor if anyone needs it.

Hahaha. I was almost ready to snap up the SWPS! But Murray is right......maybe I could just borrow it until you need it back?:D
Is the SWPS compatible between 98 and 00? Or is it the 98-00 that's the one you have and as easy to find as a needle in a stack of needles? I thought they may have been split up from 97-98 and 99-00 for some reason???
Best of luck with the ECMB. That's one thing I have going for me withy car being a 2000.

So, the question is, why didn't thy tag the ECBM as being the problem previously?

so there is now zero codes coming up. YAY!!!!!! swapped out the ebcm.

Riley, that's what my question is too? why does it come up as a 1288 code, or more importantly why is the 1288 code listed as a steering position sensor code when the fix is the ebcm?

whatever, i'm just happy enough I can actually register the thing that I don't care.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.