Strange conditions with Universal Remote System & car starting

Messages
13
Reaction score
7
VetteCoins
1,309
Province
AB
Good day,

Over the past few weeks my C7 has been acting a bit strange. Couple conditions:
  1. The Universal Remote System is working intermittently to open my garage door. When I go to the car in the morning and press the button to open the garage door, nothing happens. When I turn the ignition to accessory (and leave it on Acc or turn off) and then press the button, the garage door opens. This condition is becoming more frequent now.
  1. When I go to the car in the morning and try to start it, I just hear a single brief ‘click’ and the car does not start. When I press/hold the starter a 2nd time right after the 1st try, the car will start. This condition happens about 50% of the time and mainly on cold starts.
Would appreciate any insight / experiences / fixes. Thx. in advance.

Darryll
 
Good day,

Over the past few weeks my C7 has been acting a bit strange. Couple conditions:
  1. The Universal Remote System is working intermittently to open my garage door. When I go to the car in the morning and press the button to open the garage door, nothing happens. When I turn the ignition to accessory (and leave it on Acc or turn off) and then press the button, the garage door opens. This condition is becoming more frequent now.
  2. When I go to the car in the morning and try to start it, I just hear a single brief ‘click’ and the car does not start. When I press/hold the starter a 2nd time right after the 1st try, the car will start. This condition happens about 50% of the time and mainly on cold starts.
Would appreciate any insight / experiences / fixes. Thx. in advance.

Darryll
Wow. First time I've heard of this one. I know RF interference can screw with remote systems but the relationship with the car not starting is a new one. No help from me I'm afraid. Keep us in the loop if you find some help.
 
Last edited:
Some thoughts …

Thanks for the detailed reply.
Battery new in early 2025. Voltage tested yesterday at 12.28V. Trickle charged the battery to full and voltage tested at 12.7V. No loose connections or corrosion as suggested.
Car was serviced last weekend and Technician tested battery at 12.75V @ 641CCA.
No longer experiencing the starting issue. The garage door opening / Universal Remote System issue I described still persists when the car is cold.
Car is 2019 2LT convertible Z51 Stingray.
 
The garage door opening / Universal Remote System issue I described still persists when the car is cold.
Car is 2019 2LT convertible Z51 Stingray.
Have you tried reprogramming the remote / opener?
 
Thx Murray. I thought of it but did not as it works intermittently. i.e. after turning on/off Accessory when car is cold or when car is warm.
I just had another thought. Are you using LED bulbs in your garage, specifically on the opener itself? Apparently they can interfere with garage door transmitters.
 
I just had another thought. Are you using LED bulbs in your garage, specifically on the opener itself? Apparently they can interfere with garage door transmitters.
Good advice; I should have thought of that as I had LED in one of my shop doors that was giving me grief a few years ago. Supposedly it screws with the control module.
 
Here is more information than anyone would care to read......

Yes—some LED lights can interfere with a garage door opener, especially cheap or poorly shielded LED bulbs. The problem is usually radio-frequency noise from the bulb’s internal power driver, which can disrupt the remote’s signal to the opener receiver.
Typical symptoms
The remote works only when you are very close to the garage.
The opener responds intermittently or needs multiple button presses.
The wall button works normally, but the remote does not.
The problem appears only when certain lights are on.
Why it happens
Garage-door remotes commonly use RF bands around 315 MHz or 390 MHz; some LED drivers emit electromagnetic noise that overlaps those bands and overwhelms the weak remote signal. Poor shielding, dimmers, and low-cost bulbs are more often responsible.
How to isolate it
Turn off the LED bulbs nearest the opener—especially the bulb in the opener itself and nearby garage/outdoor fixtures.
Test the remote from your normal parking spot.
If it now works, turn lights on one at a time until the failure returns; that identifies the offending bulb or fixture.
Fixes
Replace the problem bulb with a UL/CSA-listed, FCC-compliant LED bulb specifically marketed as garage-door-opener compatible.
Move the LED fixture farther from the opener’s antenna/receiver, even a metre or two can help.
Avoid cheap no-name LED bulbs and dimmable LEDs on the same circuit if they correlate with the issue.
For persistent fixture-level interference, an RFI filter or ferrite cores on the fixture wiring may help.
If the remote fails even with all LEDs off, look instead at a weak remote battery, opener antenna, RF interference from another device, or a failing receiver.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top