I'm assuming that this latest recall (for the seatbelts) will also hinder anyone selling their afflicted C8 unit, be it through private sale or trade-in.
With an anticipated E-Ray delivery now being measured in weeks, instead of months or years, that nagging question of what to do with my Stingray may have been answered for me.
"Why do you have two Corvettes?"
"Well, my seatbelt was giving me problems, so I parked it up on that rack and bought an upgrade."

Thanks G.M.

Reactions: 1st Vette
This is apparently a fairly wide spread problem effecting basically half of all C8's built in 2024 and a few 2025's.
13,464 to be exact.

I know mine is affected but, so far the belts have not given me any issues. I will be driving it until they fail or not.
Mine is not only on the list, but I have experienced the issue first hand probably 1/2 a dozen times.
The belt is simply locked in the 'not-in-use' position, with no ability to pull it out to secure oneself.
My first encounter was actually leaving the dealership on picking up the car.
The sales rep followed me to the gas station to fill the tank, and I simply could not get the belt loose (I felt like an idiot).
Oddly enough, and I'm not sure if it's part of the solution or simply a fluke, but putting the seat back as far as it would go, then trying to pull on the belt, did release it.
I already had plans on bringing it back for rectification when this good news hit.

Mine is not only on the list, but I have experienced the issue first hand probably 1/2 a dozen times.
The belt is simply locked in the 'not-in-use' position, with no ability to pull it out to secure oneself.
My first encounter was actually leaving the dealership on picking up the car.
The sales rep followed me to the gas station to fill the tank, and I simply could not get the belt loose (I felt like an idiot).
Oddly enough, and I'm not sure if it's part of the solution or simply a fluke, but putting the seat back as far as it would go, then trying to pull on the belt, did release it.
I already had plans on bringing it back for rectification when this good news hit.
That sucks, especially when it happened on day one.

Due to my height, my seat is as far back and as far down as mechanically possible. Maybe this is why I have not had it happen.... I better stop talking about in now!

This article is inaccurate and must be noted it was “AI” written. That's why I went to the source of the information which is here: GM Recalls 2024 Chevrolet Corvette and – Rather Surprisingly – the 2025 Corvette (https://www.autoevolution.com/news/gm-recalls-2024-chevrolet-corvette-and-rather-surprisingly-the-2025-corvette-235307.html).

As I understand it, the Corvette factory discovered a seatbelt part that was defective for a period of time from September 18, 2023 and March 22, 2024. The factory had a containment program in place by April, meaning that a fix was in place since then. In other words, the factory is still open, producing and not subject to a stop-delivery order for current production. The stop-delivery order only regards Corvettes built before April and still unsold by GM.

The remaining issue is a shortage of parts that can fulfill the required recall and is not known how much time that will take.

Last edited:
Reactions: KTJF
This article is inaccurate and must be noted it was “AI” written. That's why I went to the source of the information which is here: GM Recalls 2024 Chevrolet Corvette and – Rather Surprisingly – the 2025 Corvette (https://www.autoevolution.com/news/gm-recalls-2024-chevrolet-corvette-and-rather-surprisingly-the-2025-corvette-235307.html).

As I understand it, the Corvette factory discovered a seatbelt part that was defective for a period of time from September 18, 2023 and March 22, 2024. The factory had a containment program in place by April, meaning that a fix was in place since then. In other words, the factory is still open, producing and not subject to a stop-delivery order for current production. The stop-delivery order only regards Corvettes built before April and still unsold by GM.

The remaining issue is a shortage of parts that can fulfill the required recall and is not known how much time that will take.
No problem with mine which was built Feb 8 2024 . I also always have the seat all the way back which fortunately is exactly right. Thank the gods, lol . Checked the recall list and no issues supposedly.

from CorvetteBlogger

An issue has popped up on new 2024 Corvettes and because it’s a safety issue, General Motors has been forced to stop the deliveries of any new Corvettes that might have this problem. Apparently, the NHTSA is also involved, and they appear to be in the process of issuing a Product Safety Recall over it.

The problem with these 2024 Corvettes is that the Seatbelt Retractors might lock up when they are in their stowed position (not used) and when an occupant tries to put them on, the retractors will not release the belts, rendering them unavailable as a passenger restraint.

We checked in with one of our dealers who said there are about 600 Corvettes with the issue and the good news is that GM has the VINS of affected cars. If you are expecting to take delivery of a new Corvette in the next few days, you’ll want to check with your dealer regarding this Recall/Stop Sale notice as the dealers are unable to release any affected Corvettes unless the problem retractors are replaced.

Of course, the other problem is No parts available!

The text on the GM Recall Page says the following:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety may exist in certain 2024-2025 model year Chevrolet Corvette Vehicles. These vehicles may contain a driver and/or passenger seatbelt retractor that, under certain conditions, can become locked in a stowed position and unavailable as an occupant restraint.

The GM Program # is N242441399 and it was issued on June 6, 2024.
Why hasn't any seat belt retractors been repaired in the past 60 plus days since this recall started. Clearly a part can be produced in less than 60 days to correct this situation. Clearly GM and its supplier ZF Group are not in a hurry. In canada corvette season is short and the season window is closing fast. People want to drive their cars and be safe.
Joe G

• Agree
I booked a service for later in the month and they said they can order the part to do this seatbelt recall now. Has anyone else heard the same?

Any idea how involved the repair is? Maybe I’ll just wait until the spring, as I don’t want to be one of the first cars getting it done. I guess I’m worried about the interior getting scratched if it’s not done carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread