from CorvetteBlogger

An issue has popped up on new 2024 Corvettes and because it’s a safety issue, General Motors has been forced to stop the deliveries of any new Corvettes that might have this problem. Apparently, the NHTSA is also involved, and they appear to be in the process of issuing a Product Safety Recall over it.

The problem with these 2024 Corvettes is that the Seatbelt Retractors might lock up when they are in their stowed position (not used) and when an occupant tries to put them on, the retractors will not release the belts, rendering them unavailable as a passenger restraint.

We checked in with one of our dealers who said there are about 600 Corvettes with the issue and the good news is that GM has the VINS of affected cars. If you are expecting to take delivery of a new Corvette in the next few days, you’ll want to check with your dealer regarding this Recall/Stop Sale notice as the dealers are unable to release any affected Corvettes unless the problem retractors are replaced.

Of course, the other problem is No parts available!

The text on the GM Recall Page says the following:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety may exist in certain 2024-2025 model year Chevrolet Corvette Vehicles. These vehicles may contain a driver and/or passenger seatbelt retractor that, under certain conditions, can become locked in a stowed position and unavailable as an occupant restraint.

The GM Program # is N242441399 and it was issued on June 6, 2024.

Unfortunately this is showing as an incomplete recall for me on my 'myChevrolet' app... hope the fix doesn't involve too much interior disassembly to get at the retractors.

My car is on the recall list

IMG_2569.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: MKC8 and Murray20c8
It was released a few days ago, and I am apparently targetted once again, as a 2024MY owner.
My seat belt retractors don't "lock" so that they cannot be used, if that's the issue with the recall, if I have interpreted it correctly.
Just a heads up. Sign into your MyChevrolet app or login to your Chev account on the web and have a look.
If this is already on here somewhere, I apologize for having missed it, and duplicating it.

It was released a few days ago, and I am apparently targetted once again, as a 2024MY owner.
My seat belt retractors don't "lock" so that they cannot be used, if that's the issue with the recall, if I have interpreted it correctly.
Just a heads up. Sign into your MyChevrolet app or login to your Chev account on the web and have a look.
If this is already on here somewhere, I apologize for having missed it, and duplicating it.
You don't need the app.
https://experience.gm.ca/en/ownercenter/recalls?vin=InsertVinHere

Weird. A delay for posting it there? You car too new?
Who knows. I'll try it again later. I usually use the VIN recalls page, but happened to be logged in to my Chev account to check the status of my DRL recall, which now shows complete. It was incomplete for a few days after I had it done.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Would any new vehicles being built or just recently built since this came out fall under this? I've ran my VIN but so far it says its fine, however it was built yesterday

Would any new vehicles being built or just recently built since this came out fall under this? I've ran my VIN but so far it says its fine, however it was built yesterday
It might be too new to check, but I'm pretty sure there is a vin range that was affected. I doubt yours would be in that range.

Reactions: Exia and DenisC8
I saw somewhere that GM hasn't got a resolution yet, pending sourcing replacement parts which is the resolution, so they must have still been using potentially faulty existing stock. I have not experienced the symptoms described in the recall, as usual, my car's seatbelt function is *perfect*. I have also not experienced as many recalls in the first year of ownership of any prior vehicle I have ever purchased brand new. GM is trying to break the recall records currently held by Tesla, Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Ford, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, FCA, VW, Porsche, Nissan, and the rest of them. Good work, Madame Barra.

Last edited:
I saw somewhere that GM hasn't got a resolution yet, pending sourcing replacement parts which is the resolution, so they must have still been using potentially faulty existing stock. I have not experienced the symptoms described in the recall, as usual, my car's seatbelt function is *perfect*. I have also not experienced as many recalls in the first year of ownership of any prior vehicle I have ever purchased brand new. GM is trying to break the recall records currently held by Tesla, Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Ford, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, FCA, VW, Porsche, Nissan, and the rest of them. Good work, Madame Barra.
Don’t forget Lada …. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread