This is something that GM lawyers should have had sorted out long before production even began. One more example of people at sleep at the switch. I love my GM vehicles but am surprised that any ever get built at all.

This is something that GM lawyers should have had sorted out long before production even began. One more example of people at sleep at the switch. I love my GM vehicles but am surprised that any ever get built at all.

Actually, it is a Canada only issue, as it turns out...

Canada has federal privacy statutes that are as rigorous, or more so, than any existing in the US, but the big difference is that in the US, it is a state issue, and so will be dealt with in a different manner, or at least a different timeframe. Canada is all one, in terms of this issue, and so it must be dealt with this way. I assure you, GM is no happier about getting this type of press over a handful of cars for Canada, either... ;-) Hope they don't cut our allotment further.... j/k....

Expect a notification on the screen telling you that you are being recorded if you the car is in Valet Mode...

This can actually be a very sticky issue as simple notification via a start screen may not be enough. It also changes the landscape of what the courts might typically see in, say a child abuse case where the parent stuck a camera in a stuffed animal to prove that this was ALREADY occuring (babysitter abusing) and they had a valid belief of such.

This has the potential to make the PDR a 0% constraint item for some time until they can figure out the specific legality. Remember, that camera would be running before you had valid grounds to believe an offence is occuring, and also without specific permission of the driver...

Much like when you call into a call centre and the fact you stay on the line after they inform you that you will be recorded (that is enough to grant your permission) then a simple warning on screen and perhaps audio warning will likely fix the issue. If you choose to stay in the car , really it's all about the passenger, then you are granting permission. I don't see folks with Go Pro's asking permission, the issue with the NAV/PDR is that a person might not easily recognize it as a recording device so you need a warning.

Eleven states have similar laws including California , which probably buys more C7's than Canada so GM is going to have to sort this out pretty quickly.

California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation. See Cal. Penal Code

Excellent Update!

I just got off the phone with the Canadian NOMS and looks like the Stop Sale Order for 2015 C7's have been lifted. Our vehicle which has been Bayed for almost 3 weeks was released on Sept 20th.

Please note this is NOT the new PDR Valet Mode stop sale order. Our vehicle was on hold due to the Air Bag/Brake Line issue.

The PDR Stop Sale order is still in place as far as I am told.

Its not quite the same because of the fact that, for us, the answer lies in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The fundamental difference in the call center concept is the fact that the recording is used to improve communication and customer relations. There is no fishing expedition where the result is solely being sought in order to determine if the person commited an illegal act by some means...and then after you invited them to park your car for you.

The hiccup hits the Charter long before we get into the covert, or even known recoding of a persons actions. You might also believe this might be similar to recording people on your property, but it isn't because when you provide your car to a valet, you have now expressed a specific invitation for them to be on your property. Even saying that, this would not facilitate such because your vehicle isnt deemed to be your property in the same sense.

My guess.... they shut down this option in Canadian cars, at least until they can sort all the legal implications out which will most certainly not be within this model year. The unfortunate part is the 'Stop Ship' because, this mat be tantamount to say... GM forgetting to put the seatbelt warning stickers we hate so much on the visor. I believe in such a case they WILL NOT release that car for sale until the issue has been rectified.

Just my opinion and as always... I hope to hell I am wrong! This is definitely enough for me to remove the PDR when and if i ever hit 2000.

Last edited:
Got a call from GM Canada today. The PDR unit needs to be updated. I was told there are 14 2015 C7's in Canada that have been delivered. They said not to use the valet mode. I kind of like the way my PDR is just fine. So what if you have a video surveilance unit at home or work? Do you inform the intruder that they are going to be taped?????? I think not. Some laws seem to protect the ones that need to be locked up. Off topic, so back to the PDR:D

Got a call from GM Canada today. The PDR unit needs to be updated. I was told there are 14 2015 C7's in Canada that have been delivered. They said not to use the valet mode. I kind of like the way my PDR is just fine. So what if you have a video surveilance unit at home or work? Do you inform the intruder that they are going to be taped?????? I think not. Some laws seem to protect the ones that need to be locked up. Off topic, so back to the PDR:D

Just sent off an email to my salesman at the dealer here in Collingwood asking for an update. I ordered the NAV w/PDR option on my 2LT coupe.

Just sent off an email to my salesman at the dealer here in Collingwood asking for an update. I ordered the NAV w/PDR option on my 2LT coupe.

Won't impact you at this point, as your car is not anywhere close to production, and if they haven't figured this out by the time your car is supposed to be built, there will be mobs with pitchforks and torches surrounding the plant! ;-)

Do we have an update on this?

are Cdn PDR equipped vehicles being released for delivery now, or still being held back pending some kind of an update?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread