Feb 11, 2010
London, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2004 z06
With the nice weather I've had the window down and I noticed a minor squeak that is more prevalent at low rpm. It seems to be coming from the engine bay and you can hear it squeaking sometimes at idle with the hood open.

Can someone give me an idea on what I should be checking? I read it could be the harmonic balancer bolt that has come loose? Any way to tell without tearing apart the car?

With the nice weather I've had the window down and I noticed a minor squeak that is more prevalent at low rpm. It seems to be coming from the engine bay and you can hear it squeaking sometimes at idle with the hood open.

Can someone give me an idea on what I should be checking? I read it could be the harmonic balancer bolt that has come loose? Any way to tell without tearing apart the car?

If it is still the factory balancer than it is most likely not the bolt but rather the pulley . The factory pulley has an elastomer center that seperates and causes the pulley to wobble . Shine a flashlight at the pulley and see if it is spinning true or wobbling .

If it wobbles you will need to have it replaced for sure and sooner than later.

Thx
[email protected]

What about the belt and tensioners? I have to replace my belt this Spring as it started to make noise late last year. I heard to do the tensioners at the same time as they seem to go too.

I was just hoping that if I ignored it, it would go away.:D

That will be the first thing I check when I start my car. Is the wobble pretty noticeable? Would it make it a couple hours to Regina so it can get fixed by Russ Kemp?

Thanks for the redirection Manny. I was stuck on belt.

I was just hoping that if I ignored it, it would go away.:D

That will be the first thing I check when I start my car. Is the wobble pretty noticeable? Would it make it a couple hours to Regina so it can get fixed by Russ Kemp?

Thanks for the redirection Manny. I was stuck on belt.

It will be very noticeable , just shine a flashlight on it and you will see wobble.

Thx
[email protected]

Update:

Troubleshooting a bit I figured this out...

If I push the clutch in the squeaking stops completely.
It does not matter if the car is in gear or not... it squeaks if i'm putting along in 1st or sitting in neutral at a light. If the clutch is out it sqeaks.

Any thoughts?

Update:

Troubleshooting a bit I figured this out...

If I push the clutch in the squeaking stops completely.
It does not matter if the car is in gear or not... it squeaks if i'm putting along in 1st or sitting in neutral at a light. If the clutch is out it sqeaks.

Any thoughts?

Could be the flywheel glazed. realse bearing or your clutch is pretty much done , how much peddle do you have left before the clutch engages ?

Thx
[email protected]

It engages fairly soon...you mean when it starts to engage or fully engaged?

I'm guessing I glazed the clutch...

I remember once I was pulling hard from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th and I smelled a bit of burning once.... I didn't ride it... just wonder if it had too much power to hold... it has not happened since but then again i don't do WOT pulls very often.

If its a glazed clutch how do i tell and/or fix it? It seems to hold ... i have never "dropped the clutch" and i dont have to... i ease onto it in 1st and can spin the tires at will with any gas.

It sounds (I'm definitely not the mechanic) that the stocker is starting to complain about all that power you're running :) (a nice problem to have). Has it occurred to you that this might also be related to the issues you're having with second gear?

Just a thought.. Then again, its been so long that the other threat on second gear started that I might be incorrect totally with my statement. I reserve the right to open mouth and insert foot.
[mob][/mob]

clutch isn't stock...

When i bought the car the clutch had 2k miles on it.... makes me wonder if its a bit out of alignment... the previous owner of the car had TONS of money and would have done tranny work if it was needed.

The car has a which was designed for the new z06... so it should handle the power of my car.

GM LS7 Clutch/ Flywheel/Master Cylinder/Slave Cylinder

Shifter Breathless Performance Short Throw Shifter W new Factory Shift Knob

So Manny, you are totally correct about the harmonic balancer wobbling. So, problem found, however, I am 250km out of town. Are these things prone to blowing up or should I be fine for getting home?

Can you recommend a replacement?

So Manny, you are totally correct about the harmonic balancer wobbling. So, problem found, however, I am 250km out of town. Are these things prone to blowing up or should I be fine for getting home?

Can you recommend a replacement?

You will be fine just don't let it go to long, a month max.

Thx
[email protected]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.