I also saw a post on the other forum about using O-rings on the pins to helps secure the tops. I'm going to buy the silicone to try on my suv and get rid of the squeak this driving me nuts. thanks Keith!

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Mine squeaks and pops as well and drives me and the wife nuts. Did the silicone treatment on the rubbers but didn't help a whole lot. Looking forward to trying the O-rings when I get back home

Mine squeaks and pops as well and drives me and the wife nuts. Did the silicone treatment on the rubbers but didn't help a whole lot. Looking forward to trying the O-rings when I get back home
My C6 did as well 12cents... I didn't try the O-rings but I found lubing the mount pins helped a lot....

My C6 did as well 12cents... I didn't try the O-rings but I found lubing the mount pins helped a lot....

I have put silicone everywhere, well.. almost everywhere :Shamefullyembarrased: :), to try and stopped this but alas to no avail. :Arghh: With how bad our roads have become these last couple of years I might just leave the top out. Surprising how little rain enters the car at relatively low speeds... until we have to stop.

Here's what I could find on the "other" forum. I stand corrected and it's shrink tubing that's used. Here's the post.
icon1.gif
UPDATE - New Approach to Fixing Top Popping Noise
NEW UPDATE -NOVEMBER 19, 2010
. Since gluing the plastic receivers into the windshield header,no pops after two full years.

I did take the top off once and lubed the seals with a thin coat of dielectric grease (actually did all weatherstripping on the car.

Not a peep, not a pop. I am glad some of these have helped others.

cheers2.gif

NEW UPDATE - JUNE 6 2008

Few weeks ago I switched tops - put the e-clips in the latches, and no popping sound - at first.

On some roads, I got a VERY faint pop - only noticed because the radio was off [plus I think I am tuned in to that sound].

Checked the e-clip, still in place and roller immobilized - But I also realized I had not lubed the roller shaft.

Just to make sure, I looked at some of the other posts, and saw the one to put shrink tube on the front pins.

Went to Fry's electronics and got clear 1/2" shrink tube; shrank a piece onto each pin, and it has been totally noise free for 5-weeks now, and the outside temp is getting up there.

So it might be that the best TOTAL solution is lube the roller pin, then install 2 e-clips; for extra assurance, 2 lengths of shrink tube.....

UPDATE - ADDED VIEW TO HELP WITH INSTALLATION....
3/4 update - 75 miles and not a sound....
3/8 update - 200miles and still good
3/14 update - 350 miles and still good
3/18 update [last one] - over 2 weeks and not a sound

Glad this has helped out!

My '05 didn't have the popping of the roof panel until I drove over some rough construction areas.

I read all the threads, and it seems the culprit is [mostly] the roller in the latch.

One recommendation is to jam in a small nail or staple to prevent the roller from moving. I did that and it seems to work, but I frankly could not see why preventing the roller from rolling would eliminate the noise.

I experimented, driving the car with the latch totally disengaged, and also engaged with the latch stopped on the tightest point, just before the final latching. In both cases, there was ZERO noise.

I believe that maybe it is the axial movement of the roller as the body flexes that creates the noise - either the roller moving on the pin, or actually bottoming out on the latch cradle.

latch.jpg

upload_2017-4-21_13-1-10.png

[thanks to Y2KC5NBM for the original picture]

I looked at eliminating the fair amount of end play on the roller. I bought a pack of 5/32" E-Clips from Lowes. The clip snaps securely on the pin, and is just the right thickness:

eclips.jpg

I installed one as shown:

clipinplace.jpg

top.jpg

The thickness takes out virtually all the end play, but the roller still rotates as it should.

So far, no noise after two days - easy install, don't really have to remove the latch, but that makes it easier......
smash.gif

Reactions: muzakill
I have only had one targa (C3) with the others (C4 & C5) being verts & of course my 2016 C7 being a vert. If you read the car manual it says to cover the exposed rubber seals with silicone grease to protect the rubber and prevent drying out, which I did; however, this thread has just reminded me to do it again - so, thank you.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Installed the e-clips and shrink tubing to all 4 pegs. Resolved the creaking popping issue to date. Many thanks for that info - greatly appreciate it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.