Feb 16, 2013
Oxford Mills, On
VetteCoins
Car
1981 C3 / 1988 C4
Brought my 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 in to the dealer for some issues (193,000 km's). One issue was some driveline noise and vibration, the vehicle seemed to roll as if the wheels were oval at low speeds. I figured it was a front hub or bearing. They said my tires were toast, he actually said they were square??? Now, the tires were new this summer, about 30k ago, and they were Bridgestones...not cheap tyres. Has anyone ever heard of this? I also need two new exhaust manifolds, a 12 hour fix. :swear:

We had Coopers on our '97 Olds LSS. The ones on the front had about 12K miles and the rears had about 4500. There was a growl in the rearend of the car that sounded for all the world like a wheel bearing eating itself up and there was a vibration. One tire on the front had tread separation and the other on the rear had broken belts. First and last Coopers for me. I had a full set of Michelins put on the car last summer so we will see how they last. For years I ran BFG T/As on our old Chevelles and never had a single problem ever. I guess you can have bad tires in any line but I tend to move on if I have a problem.

Range,
if the tyres were new summer 2012, then there shouldn't be any trouble
unless they were initially defective. Maybe do an e-mail to BStone seeking their
comment. Could also check manuf date thats stamped on the sidewall. I suppose
its possible you were sold 'old' tyres. [ ie. manuf ~ 2007, which could explain the
poor behaviour.

Hope this helps.

Tony,
welland

There are a lot of Ford manifolds being replaced .I'm a time Ford fan but I don't think I'll buy another one .

Now square tires make me think there mounted on square wheels :D Like others have said I'd check with the tire store that bought from .

There are a lot of Ford manifolds being replaced .I'm a time Ford fan but I don't think I'll buy another one .

Now square tires make me think there mounted on square wheels :D Like others have said I'd check with the tire store that bought from .

God, that manifold issue has been around for decades........I'm surprised that it still exists.:confused:

Tires can go bad from poor suspension parts causing 'scalloping' (which is much more noticeable at lower speeds) , also as mentioned tread separation, bad balance, and road hazard damage.
Is BFG helping in any way with replacement tires? (pro-rated wear?)

You have warranty? If not I hope Ford is helping with the manifold replacement....they should -- that issue has been around seems forever....... 12 hours for that job sounds a little steep too. (tho I haven't seen under the hood).

Someone better check your suspension for abnormal wear and tear, and then of course there's alignment.

G/L with repairs.

C.

They said driveline was fine. The truck regular maintenance, since I don't have to pay for anything.....Perhaps the tyres are "old", I got them installed at Active Green and Ross (I was working at a Sears that day). I will ask about the manifold issue, but I was at a Ford dealer.(reputable). Thanks for the help, you guys are great.

Don't forget to check the tire manufacture date stamped on the side of the tire (as Tony suggested) .. If you've not looked before there will be a small rectangular box on the sidewall with 1/4" numbers in it denoting the week (first 2 numbers) and year (second 2 numbers) when the tire was manufactured.

For example: ( 33 09 ) which denotes the 33rd week (second week in August) of 2009.

TIRE MANUFACTURE DATE STAMP.

Old tires could be your problem too.

G/L
C.

I had a vibration on my Camaro years back. I had the tires balanced and it was still there so I had the drive shaft balanced. When it was up on the lift, they ran the car and you could see the tires were totally out of round. Not surprising as the tires were extremely old. On newer tires though, that is quite surprising!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread