This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Solid Motor Mounts?

Does anyone know of solid motor mounts for a 1987? I can only find poly and rubber.
there are several common issues and concerns associated with solid motor mounts in Corvettes:
  1. Increased stress on the engine block: Some people have expressed concern that solid mounts may put more stress on the engine block and potentially cause distortion. This increased stress could lead to premature wear or damage to engine components.
  2. Vibration and noise: While not explicitly stated in the search results, it's implied that solid motor mounts can increase vibration and noise transmitted to the vehicle's cabin. This is a common trade-off when using solid mounts in place of rubber or fluid-filled mounts.
  3. Drivetrain movement: Solid mounts are often considered to restrict drivetrain movement.While this can be beneficial for performance, it may also lead to increased stress on other components of the drivetrain.
  4. Potential damage to transmission: Using solid engine mounts with a rubber transmission mount is described as an "accepted crutch," but it's noted that failed transmission mounts can cause significant damage. This suggests that using solid motor mounts may require careful consideration of the entire drivetrain mounting system.
  5. Availability issues: For C4 Corvettes specifically, there seems to be a lack of readily available solid motor mount options from major manufacturers. This was highlighted when a user mentioned that Moroso doesn't make solid mounts for the C4.
  6. Durability concerns: While not specific to solid mounts, the discussion mentions that fluid-filled mounts (a type of stock mount) are prone to breaking early. This suggests that durability is a general concern with motor mounts, and solid mounts might be seen as a solution to this issue.
It's important to note that while solid motor mounts can offer performance benefits, they come with trade-offs that need to be carefully considered, especially in terms of comfort, stress on other components, and overall driving experience.

While there are no search results specifically mentioning solid motor mounts made by aftermarket companies for the 1987 Corvette, there are several options available that could potentially fit your needs:
  1. Urethane motor mounts: These are offered as an alternative to solid steel mounts and provide a significant improvement over rubber mounts. Urethane mounts are designed to reduce engine movement while still offering some vibration dampening. They are described as "virtually indestructible" and "impervious to automotive oils and chemicals".
  2. Performance polyurethane mounts: Companies like Energy Suspension offer performance polyurethane suspension components, including motor mounts, which could be compatible with your 1987 Corvette. These are designed to reduce deflection and improve vehicle launches and overall feel.
  3. LS Solid Motor Mount Conversion Kit: If you're considering an engine swap or upgrade, there's a solid motor mount conversion kit available for C4 Corvettes, including the 1987 model. This kit is designed to fit C4 Corvettes from 1983 to 1996.
  4. Custom options: Some performance parts manufacturers offer motor mounts described as "true performance application components" for cars, trucks, and hot rods. While not specifically mentioned for the 1987 Corvette, these might be adaptable to your vehicle.
It's worth noting that while solid motor mounts were sought after by some C4 Corvette owners, as evidenced by forum discussions, they may not be widely manufactured specifically for this model. You might need to consult with specialized Corvette parts suppliers or performance shops to find the best solution for your 1987 Corvette.

I should have added that the car is not a daily driver.

As I suspected I may be stuck with poly. If anyone knows of custom solid mounts that will work with an early C4 please let me know. There was a user on the big forum who made them but that was a long time ago.

A good machine shop should be able to fabricate a pair for you I would think. A really good one should also be able to laser scan the stock ones . Just a thought.