Ok... I've changed my level of surety....Now I'm 100% sure.....

This is page 77 of your owners manual.

fob.png

• Clever
Reactions: MikeysZ06
Oh ok. It must be this vertical slot on the left,outside of the actual glove box bin but behind the panel when it’s closed. I never noticed that from the drivers seat as I can’t see it when it’s open.

Funny thing is I have no connection points on my fob and there’s no connection points inside that slot. Looks like a spot to put a spare more than anything.

3CC9A231-B604-4526-964F-FB25D25F9619.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmmmm. That's confirmation from two of us now Mike... Just in case you don't have one, here's a copy of the OM for you.
Thanks Eric. I had that same PDF saved a couple of years ago but lost it updating IOS at some point. I’ll be keeping this copy for future discrepancies. There was no manual in the GB when I bought the car.

Oh ok. It must be this vertical slot on the left,outside of the actual glove box bin but behind the panel when it’s closed. I never noticed that from the drivers seat as I can’t see it when it’s open.

Funny thing is I have no connection points on my fob and there’s no connection points inside that slot. Looks like a spot to put a spare more than anything.

View attachment 30224
lol... Nope. No contacts needed. It reads your fob by GM magic when you put it. Also the place for re-programming fobs.

Well, just like that. GM magic ! :Banghead:

I guess I should look into a second fob at some point as well.

I had a place I got my spare Hummer FOBs from in the US. They were cheap and quick delivery. I’ll see if I can find the name of the place for you Mike. They have FOBs for everything as mine were officially “no longer available” from the dealership.

Reactions: MikeysZ06
I had a place I got my spare Hummer FOBs from in the US. They were cheap and quick delivery. I’ll see if I can find the name of the place for you Mike. They have FOBs for everything as mine were officially “no longer available” from the dealership.
No worries. I’ve seen them on Amazon as well. It’s not overly important right now.

I just recently discovered that the key fob for the 2019 F150 I just bought when having it in the Vette screws up the operation of the Vettes key fob operations. I had to move the truck to get the Vette out of the garage to go out and kept the fob with me. When I was leaving the place I went to there were weird electronic things going on when I went to start the car again. First thing that came to mind was that there were electrical issues with the car. I discovered that it was because the 2 fobs were in close proximity of each other and when the truck fob was removed

I gotta ask... I do not have any cars with this ‘proximity’ key fob stuff.

Why doesn’t the car shut off when it gets a certain distance from the fob??
Seems simple to me.

I’ve always thought if I was standing by my car then could someone could hop in and drive it away?
How close does the fob have to be.??
We were ou5 at a restaurant with friends a bit ago.
His car was parked right near the window where our table was.
I asked him if he knew how close the proximity fob had to be? He didn’t know.
I said I wonder if I can go outside to your car right now and drive away.
If you are loading stuff in your trunk can the car be started by someone else?
Sorry if these are simple questions.. I have no way to test my speculations.

Thanx
Graham
😳 .... and I almost parked my C7 overnight at your place after west fest and gave you the fob in case it beeped .... whew a 1000 questions may have been answered for you and perhaps an hour needed for me to get the seat adjusted for me again ... I’m buying my lotto ticket today 🤣

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: nascar03
.......and I thought I was the only idiot to place things of importance on the car roof or trunk.....ha ha.

I placed expensive sunglasses twice on the car trunk lid and a car fob once. The sunglasses somehow ended up in the principal's office (lost and found) of the nearby school the first time......the second time they were not to be found! The car fob was funny. I had placed my Cobra key/fob on the trunk of my daily driver (not the Cobra) and after retracing my ride multiple times I placed a lost/reward ad in the local paper (this was with my Mustang Cobra 20 years ago). Of course the phone number I provided in the ad was not mine, but my brother in laws. There was no way I was going to identify myself/address so the guy who found my new precious Cobra keys could return at night and steal my car!

Well someone's son found them and his dad called the listed number. My brother in law obtained the callers phone number and he called straight away!

As it turns out it was a friend of mine (Fellow Cub Leader-our boys were in Cubs together) and his son found the key/fob. The key/fob was back in my hands 15 minutes later. They didn't want the $75.00 reward but I insisted that the young guy take it because I was reassured now that my keys weren't simply out there, in the hands of a future car thief and that was also almost the replacement cost of the key and fob.....ha ha.

Today following proof of my forgetfulness I make a point to never put anything on my roof or trunk lid because I know I'll just get in my car and drive away! Ha ha

Cobra

Reactions: ddgermann
Don't knowhowmany times I have seen purses, Tim's coffee cups, etc. on the roof of a car pulling out of a parking lot... They think I'ma car jacker when I run over to them... just until I point up on the roof.... hahahaha.... Thought that was funny until one day out west chicken hunting. Shot a grouse, cleaned it and jumped back in the truck. Drove up the lease road a couple miles and saw another one. Reached for my gun and it wasn't where I usually keep it.... Cursed and got out and my shotgun was still riding comfortably on the rear bumper....

• Haha
Reactions: Cobravenomous
@ddgermann just made we aware last week that the blinking dash signal-on light is pretty much blocked by the steering wheel ... and the left-on alarm does not cut out car-play. Roof panel was off too. He won’t tell me how long it took this old guy to realize this fact as we drove between Valemount and Kamloops 😊

Last edited:
Yep all them modern cars will do that now. I think Ford had a system where it would kill the engine when you got out of range. Needless to say probably caused a fair number of mishaps.
I remember a story a few years back, in Vancouver, some skid jumped in a police car, (a new Charger) and drove it away only to crash it down the road.:Ack2: :Seeya:

That's too bad the warning didn't work. I've tested my C6 with the engine running, moving away from the car, and the "No Fob Detected" warning will appear on the gauge display. I've also tested proximity, which for each door and the rear hatch is basically standing right next to it. If standing at the driver door, the passenger door will remain locked and the same if standing at the passenger door. If standing at the rear hatch, both doors will remain locked. I did, however, recently lock my keys in the car with them sitting in the cup holder which I thought wasn't possible. The passive lock/unlock can be turned off.

I'm guessing they don't want the engine to stop if you drive away so that the car doesn't shut off while driving, losing power steering and brakes, and causing a crash. When GM first released On Star, one of its marketed features was the ability to track a car when stolen, and then shut off the engine, but this feature was soon found to be dangerous and I believe there were some instances where it caused a crash. I believe they could also retard the engine timing to a point where the car would just drive slower and slower the eventually stop, at which point it would shut down. I guess this could be programmed into fob cars but that's probably too complicated of a system.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.