Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province
SK
My poor, poor Chevelle had to spend the winter outside. I can't believe how much snow was on the old girl. I feel really bad about it. Anyway, now that it is threatening to melt, I wanted to get all the snow away from the sides of the car so I don't have water sitting against the body panels and on the roof. I shoveled it off a couple times in the winter but the fricking snow just blew in again by the next week so I left it until now. Our last storm really blew it in. The snow was very dry where it was on the car so it's nice to know it hasn't started melting on the car yet. Anyway, 1.5 hours of shoveling resulted in this.

Before:

555E3A5E-D8FA-4BB2-A78D-6F1C363FD737-3984-000004A8A60D021E.jpg

6914D8F1-89F7-40CE-AD60-285FF8855FFF-3984-000004A8AE17D089.jpg

After:

244CB1A1-1048-4134-B9EC-53D58BC5C2BC-3984-000004A8B0128618.jpg

2EA02282-FC09-4A95-BB2F-7DFA4DE6D7B8-3984-000004A8B20258C5.jpg

Anyone have advise for parking cars outside so this doesn't happen? Or at least can be minimized?

With snow load, wind, and drifting you guys get there, you'd better have a decent structure if you're 'garaging' -- If you have to have it there at the house I think you're doing the best you can by prepping the mechanicals and paint for winter and just covering and 'tucking it in' with ties and anchors.

Only thing you might want to consider (if you haven't already) is get the wheels off the ground to take the load off the suspension and rubber. 100's of pounds of snow load probably won't do them much good.

Damn that's a pile of snow off the car....:eek:

Spring is here and soon Mother Nature will catch up with the calendar.:D

C.

To get a decent container here is about 3800 for a 20'.

I doubt I would worry about the weight of the snow. Think about how much people weigh and it is a lot more abusive driving down a Saskatoon road than sitting still. I would worry at this time of year when it starts to melt and ice up.

I garage my vehicles year round to protect them from the elements, but I am lucky and have plenty of space for what I own (for now).

Trust me Riley your car was better off there than at my house this year. I know there were no tarps already but check out the drifts:

20130326_1920451_zps61fbb178.jpg

And how about this one in the middle of my yard looking at my house from the shop. Ya that's the roof of the house and garage!

20130321_0817021_zps2987909a.jpg

Your car would be buried and inaccessible if it had been here.

T

He had two of those at my place last year and the snow can even drift into them. Although the wind at my place is pretty wicked.

T

As Taylor mentioned, they didn't seal very well and started to tear within 6 months. I had the garages braced six ways from sunday with wood rafters and tie straps on the structure everywhere to keep it from moving. A lot of snow still got in and the tearing was inevitable.

We could be neighbors ,PLUS the nice old Cuban lady that lives in unit 310 makes a great breakfast.

Wooo! That would be awesome. Maybe some day when student loans are paid off and I'm making lots of moola. :D

To get a decent container here is about 3800 for a 20'.

I doubt I would worry about the weight of the snow. Think about how much people weigh and it is a lot more abusive driving down a Saskatoon road than sitting still. I would worry at this time of year when it starts to melt and ice up.

I garage my vehicles year round to protect them from the elements, but I am lucky and have plenty of space for what I own (for now).

Trust me Riley your car was better off there than at my house this year. I know there were no tarps already but check out the drifts:

And how about this one in the middle of my yard looking at my house from the shop. Ya that's the roof of the house and garage!

Your car would be buried and inaccessible if it had been here.

T

Hoooooooooooo-leeeeeeee crap that is a lot of snow! I am glad this year that the vette is in a Quonset and I can at least dig out the Chevelle. I can't wait to have a garage. As I've said, this will take a lot of stress off of owning these beautiful vehicles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.