did the Bilstein come only on the z51 or on others as well
Mine had the FE3 suspension from the factory. Just replaced the shocks and they were Bilsteins, but I don't know if they were original. Considering I had to cut 3 of the 4 off due to the bolts being so rusted, they might very well have been - and also considering I could compress the old shocks between my hands.

Mine had the FE3 suspension from the factory. Just replaced the shocks and they were Bilsteins, but I don't know if they were original. Considering I had to cut 3 of the 4 off due to the bolts being so rusted, they might very well have been - and also considering I could compress the old shocks between my hands.
l heard the Bilstein are rebuilable

l heard the Bilstein are rebuilable
Depends on the shock. The Bilstiens on my fox mustang are rebuild-able and tuna-able, but they're also monstrously large and have obvious collars on the shock body that come apart.

The Bilstiens on my 88 Vette by comparison are small and appear to be sealed units, like the plain old "garden variety" emulsion/gas pressurized shocks.....

if you've hacked them up might be a good experiment to see if they are rebuild able...

I have to try to get through my laundry list of stuff I want to do over the winter first! Suspension bushings, sway bar end links, rear wheel bearings, left window motor, window re-alignment, door panel repairs, misc interior stuff. Gonna be a busy winter trying to fit this in around life s**t!

I have to try to get through my laundry list of stuff I want to do over the winter first! Suspension bushings, sway bar end links, rear wheel bearings, left window motor, window re-alignment, door panel repairs, misc interior stuff. Gonna be a busy winter trying to fit this in around life s**t!

You could send one of your old ones across the water to me and I can crack it open. I’m always up for a challange, automotive wise that is.

I suspect that they may be rebuildable, but not under the factory level of rebuild.

I don’t see a charging port on mine anywhere which probably means they need the oem “mega-dollar” machine to put them back together and replenish the gas charge.

I’ve also read that Bilstien will also put the circlip groove into the bodies so you can use them as coil-overs.

Personally, I’ve never been a big fan of coil-overs on a car not designed for them. You’re usually putting suspension/weight loads into parts of the car strucrure that wasn’t designed for it. Results vary, car by car....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread