Jul 1, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1994 Convertible
Province
NL
Hey all,

Thinking of replacing shocks in my '94 vert, at least the fronts (she has a touch of a float thing happening over highway undulations). It is a daily driver/cruiser. No track time, racing, or aggressive driving. Would a lower cost option do the trick or should I spring for the Bilsteins?

Also, regardless of which I choose, best source?

Thanks...

You can always stick with OEM (are Bilsteins OEM on a C4?) if you are not tracking your car. I am sure if you can't get them at Hickman's, try the locals (like Browne's) for prices and availability.
BTW, with the age of your Corvette, if those are all original shocks, I would look at replacing all 4.
Hi 12.
Bilstien's ARE OEM..... IF he has a Z51 setup.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
I thought the non-adjustable Bilstiens were stock, and the adjustable version with Z51. I could be wrong!

Nope. Bilsteins came on z51 and Z52 cars as an “upgrade”.

Most bilsteins are rebuildable, although the ones on my 88 Z52 car look like sealed units. The Bilsteins on my Mustang are definitely rebuildable, you can see the collars that allow disassembly. There’s really not much comparison between the ones on my c4 and the ones on my mustang. The bilsteins on my mustang have massive pistons and huge bodies comparred to the “oem” c4 units. The mustang ones make the C4 ones look like bargain buy low end shocks.

I’d stick with Bilsteins myself, they’re about the best quality units on the market right now, without going to a “mega buck” option. But if I were to get replacements, I’d go for the newer Bilsteins that are tunable and rebuildable.

For reference, my 88 Z52 car will also “float” on bumps or road irregularities. It’s likely the result of a compromise between ultimate road holding and comfort. It is a street car after all. I wouldn’t want to have to strap on a kidney belt every time I took it out for a drive in our crappy canadian roads....

If you’re just going kyb, I’d check out rock auto.

before I put the biksteins on my fox mustang, I bought 4 kyb adjustables from rock auto and they were the best price I could find anywhere. Even after the shipping to Canada.

I ended up dropping the kyb’s because the adjusters were a PITA to get to under the car. I just went with a set of properly valved Bilsteins and haven’t look back since. I track the fox though (autocross), so the Bilsteins were worth the price for me.

:)

Hey all,

Thinking of replacing shocks in my '94 vert, at least the fronts (she has a touch of a float thing happening over highway undulations). It is a daily driver/cruiser. No track time, racing, or aggressive driving. Would a lower cost option do the trick or should I spring for the Bilsteins?

Also, regardless of which I choose, best source?

Thanks...
Coilovers all around ......Get the right shocks and you wont be disappointed!

I have the KYB shocks. Hope to install on the weekend, weather permitting. Recieved them from Rock Auto in less than 4 days using their base shipping option. That's impressive, especially for Newfoundland.

BTW, although my car has the base suspension the shocks are Delco labelled Bilstein. Probably been replaced at some point - the car does have over 180k kms on the clock.

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
KYB shocks are now installed. I don't know if the Delco labelled Bilstiens were original, but I had to cut off the top bolts on the two rears and one front. And they were toast. I could compress the rears by hand.

I took the car on a long run today - did the Irish Loop, which Newfs are likely familiar with. It is a suspension workout for sure...and will help you find every sqeak and rattle in your interior. I did it a couple weeks ago with the old shocks and it was a nightmare. Today, quite enjoyable. I can't really do a legit comparison as the originals were basically doing nothing. Nice touring car with the KYB's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread