I'm New Here
Aug 14, 2013
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
none
Hi everyone,

Im a new member!
Ive had my '04 C5 Z06 for a year now and absolutely love being able to go fast AND turn! (I come from the Mustang world! lol)

Got her with only 27k and currently have 29k on her.

Im currently having a problem with the steering lock. I've had a message pop up on my screen telling me to service the steering lock. Ive done my due diligence online and have seen the easy/quick fixes to the problem BUT my problem doesn't sound like anyone else's...

I have the message pop up but my steering wheel isn't locked at all and I can still drive the car as I normally would (no fuel cut-off, etc). Apparently this means that the recall has been done on the car but from what I've read I should still be experiencing the fuel cut-off/inability to get up to speed.

With that said, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out and tell me what is wrong with the car, if anything?

Do I need to do the steering lock fix (as seen on multiple Youtube videos) or can I just go in and delete the codes to make the message disappear?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I installed the column lock eliminator on our car two years ago and had the message come up a couple of times last year. The lock is completely disconnected and the eliminator plugged in in its place. I think the computers sometimes send out errant messages for whatever reason. Still, it might be wise to have a dealer check it out.

Sounds to me like you've had the recall done. The previous owner also had the fuel cutoff set to a higher speed so you're good to good. Get a column bypass lock from corvettes of Houston if you want the message to stop popping up, otherwise, delete the code and carry on as usual.

I would advise to stay far away from the dealer as they may reinstate the 3mph fuel cutoff.

Around here, the dealer is the last place I would take a Corvette. I shouldn't have even mentioned them. Most here probably never even sell a new Corvette much less have experience working on one. There are Youtube videos done step by step showing how to install the column lock eliminator. It was so easy and straight forward that I did it myself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umBo8Q3PF6A

Hi everyone,

Im a new member!
Ive had my '04 C5 Z06 for a year now and absolutely love being able to go fast AND turn! (I come from the Mustang world! lol)

Got her with only 27k and currently have 29k on her.

Im currently having a problem with the steering lock. I've had a message pop up on my screen telling me to service the steering lock. Ive done my due diligence online and have seen the easy/quick fixes to the problem BUT my problem doesn't sound like anyone else's...

I have the message pop up but my steering wheel isn't locked at all and I can still drive the car as I normally would (no fuel cut-off, etc). Apparently this means that the recall has been done on the car but from what I've read I should still be experiencing the fuel cut-off/inability to get up to speed.

With that said, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out and tell me what is wrong with the car, if anything?

Do I need to do the steering lock fix (as seen on multiple Youtube videos) or can I just go in and delete the codes to make the message disappear?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Very common issue , we stock the CLB's :D

Manny did mine for me during a service this spring. Never a problem.

I would suggest calling Manny to find out about the install and hopefully that will cure the issue. Learn something new here everyday, I did not know that the fuel issue could be over ridden as well. Electronics. Oh my.

Good luck.