Featured Thread
Apr 8, 2018
Sask
VetteCoins
Car
2008 corvette z06
Hey guys. Was at the dyno the other day and my fob battery died. I thought I was hooped. Until i started doing some research and it’s possible to run and drive your car without an active battery even in your fob. Hell you don’t even need a battery. But in your passenger side glove compartment there’s a little spot to “hook” your fob into. Giving the car power. Just passing this on as new vette owners like myself aren’t aware of this. It definitly saved my day!!

Hey guys. Was at the dyno the other day and my fob battery died. I thought I was hooped. Until i started doing some research and it’s possible to run and drive your car without an active battery even in your fob. Hell you don’t even need a battery. But in your passenger side glove compartment there’s a little spot to “hook” your fob into. Giving the car power. Just passing this on as new vette owners like myself aren’t aware of this. It definitly saved my day!!

lol.... I wouldn't really call it a secret fob slot. They do discuss it in the owners manual. :angelic:

lol.... I wouldn't really call it a secret fob slot. They do discuss it in the owners manual. :angelic:

Indeed, and the fact that basically all cars with keyless RFID fobs have a similar slot or place in which you place the fob, so it's not as though it's an easter egg.

This was funnier in the 90s when I was in high school and it was still illegal, but it reminded me of it nonetheless. :)

Please do not tell me that a fob like all the rest when they die my C8 is dead in the water. My salesperson better have his boxing gloves on if that occurs. LOL

Thanks Bro

My Factory 5 Cobra is bare bones scary fast hold on to youre (you know whats) and turn the key hit the button and go.L guess l will have a major learning curve on the C8 computer. That is maybe the reason l got the 1LT as not to be bogged down with too many gadjets as there is enough of them already on the road driving.

It’s in your Manuel

• Haha
Reactions: Movie Muscle
Long procedure:

C6 Fob Programming Instructions

Before starting, it is important to make sure that the glovebox slot is working properly. If it is not, and the long procedure is started, then the car will be stripped of its fob programming, but will then not be able to accept new fob programming through the slot. This will leave the car unable to be started. Since most C6 owners have never tested the slot, or had to use it to start the car with a dead fob, they would be unaware if it had never been working properly since the car was new. To make sure that the glovebox slot is working, follow steps 1-6 below. Then in step 7, you may either insert the new, unprogrammed fob into the slot and continue to step 8, or you may insert one of the fobs that is currently programmed to the car into the slot. If the slot is presented with a fob that is ALREADY programmed to the car, the DIC will say “Known Fob”. This shows us that the slot is working correctly by recognizing this fob. Push the bottom half of the start button to end the session if you were just testing the slot for proper operation.

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glovebox slot.

1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Unlock car and open trunk
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side and keyring facing outwards.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).

Testing the glovebox slot above. Step 6 gets the system into the program mode so that if you then put an unknown fob into the slot in step 7, it will be added to the car. If you put the already working fob into the slot in step 7, the DIC will say "KNOWN FOB" and nothing additional will be programmed. When it says KNOWN FOB, it shows you that the slot is working as it has read the fob and told you that it already has that fob programmed to the car. At this point, just push the OFF part of the start button and all is good, no changes made. If , at step 7, you put a known fob in the slot and the DIC does not say KNOWN FOB, then the slot is not working and you should not do the long procedure.

C6 Fob Long Procedure….use these instructions 11-22 to erase car memory and reprogram all Fobs. Be sure to confirm proper operation of the glovebox slot with the short procedure before using this one. Any lost Fobs that are not reprogrammed with this procedure will no longer work on the car. Lost Fobs that are later found may be added to the car with the short programming procedure. This procedure requires three consecutive ten minute waiting periods, so plan on spending about a half hour to do this, during which the car may not be moved. Remember that the number printed on the Fob only indicates the way it was first programmed at the factory. All Fobs are identical. The order in which they are placed in the glovebox slot determines what number the Fob is.

11. Drivers window down, car off
12. Trunk open
13. Glove box open
14. Make sure NO Fobs are anywhere near the car. IMPORTANT.
15. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
16. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Off/Acc to learn” If you decide at this point NOT to do the programming now, push the TOP half of the Start button and the car will return to normal. With step 17, all previous fobs will be erased. To continue with programming:
17. Push bottom half of the Start button. DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. You may close the trunk and car door while waiting for the ten minute countdowns.
18. After the first 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
19. After the second 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
20. After this third ten minute period is over, DIC will say “Ready for Fob #1” Regardless of the number on the Fob, the FIRST Fob that is put in the glovebox slot will be recognized as Fob #1. Put the first Fob in the glovebox slot with the buttons facing to the right (passenger) side and the keyring end facing outwards.
21. After 3 or four seconds the DIC will beep and say “Ready for Fob #2”. Put the second Fob in the slot. The car will take a maximum of four fobs. When you have no more Fobs to program, push the bottom half of the Start button to end the programming session.
22. Test all buttons on the fobs to make sure they work, then take all fobs away from the car and, one by one, try using each to start the car.
thumbsup.gif

Please read through the rest of the thread as many people have added their tips and tricks...lots of good info
thumbsup.gif

Added 9/13/2015: If the car CAN be put into the programming mode but the slot FAILS to recognize a fob, it could be that the system antenna that is attached directly behind the slot is either: 1. defective or 2. (More likely)Unplugged from its' wiring harness or 3. (Also more likely) not properly positioned in its' own slot directly behind the glovebox slot. Pulling the glovebox out will allow this to be easily observed. This antenna must be very very close to the fob in the slot in order to program the fob. See this thread for a diagram and pics of a situation where the antenna was not replaced into its' slot after work was done. It caused serious problems and yet was a very simple fix:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...b-only-me.html

• Informative
Reactions: Carson and 12cents
The above may work if your car was delivered to a US dealership from the factory. Otherwise, not so much. As per the owner's manual:

United States owners are permitted to
program a new transmitter to
their vehicle when a recognized
transmitter is not available. The
Canadian immobilizer standard
requires that Canadian owners see
their dealer for programming new
transmitters when two recognized
transmitters are not available.

What they really mean is if your car was delivered to a Canadian dealership from the factory, then a dealer visit is required. If your car was delivered to a US dealership and subsequently imported into Canada, then the procedure still works (I've done it myself) because the software is not changed on your car under those circumstances. Now I do know that you can use a TechII tool to easily match fobs to the car which may bypass the need to visit a dealer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.