PSA

We've been made aware of a scam going around the motoring forums with a new user private messaging people with want to buy ads. If you've received a strange message asking you to contact David or some other name directly via email we caution you strongly not to engage.

We've just removed a user SmartDriver who was propagating this scam.

As always exercise extreme caution when receiving offers that are too good to be true from fresh new members.

PSA

We've been made aware of a scam going around the motoring forums with a new user private messaging people with want to buy ads. If you've received a strange message asking you to contact David or some other name directly via email we caution you strongly not to engage.

As always exercise extreme caution when receiving offers that are too good to be true from fresh new members.
Dam! I was just about to add another C8 to my collection for just under MSRP! I knew it was too good to be true! ;)

We use to have a 10 post rule but since no one ever reads the forum rules, we were inundated with new members asking why they were unable to get a classified ad to work. We opened it up for Wanted items only a few weeks back. Obviously the scammers caught on to this.

• Agree
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
… Obviously the scammers caught on to this …
Yes without a doubt and resulting is that confidence with trusting a decent seller is increasing to new all time lows. I am saying this from selling experience. Following rules that are put in place on sites should be mandatory. Bending rules is at the buyer’s risk and is honestly beyond my understanding … unless it is for something out of the ordinary that needs addressing or is precedence setting.
I am past breaking points at times with people who complain and especially when it’s “free” or at others’ risk … and it ends up with others be painted-with-the-same-brush.
Please enforce rules to deter scammer-type sales away … I like the posting count and perhaps a standing one-time minimal ccf donation amount in order to post a sale ad on here would not hurt. It surely might deter scammer-type selling. This would not affect anyone once they have a “donation” and show that a seller is a $ contributing member.
It may also be nice for a “trusted seller tag” that a member buyer can ask to award to a member seller when worthy of the referral.
Wanted ads are OK … just a chore to make sure they are not leading somewhere like with “wanted:your used car” without any specific price point or specifications (as an example).
Commenting on sale ads is of little help to a seller or buyer if it derails too.
Just a message here with intent to be constructive toward better selling and more confident buying on this site.
👍🏻😇👍🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Yes without a doubt and resulting is that confidence with trusting a decent seller is increasing to new all time lows. I am saying this from selling experience. Following rules that are put in place on sites should be mandatory. Bending rules is at the buyer’s risk and is honestly beyond my understanding … unless it is for something out of the ordinary that needs addressing or is precedence setting.
I am past breaking points at times with people who complain and especially when it’s “free” or at others’ risk … and it ends up with others be painted-with-the-same-brush.
Please enforce rules to deter scammer-type sales away … I like the posting count and perhaps a standing one-time minimal ccf donation amount in order to post a sale ad on here would not hurt. It surely might deter scammer-type selling. This would not affect anyone once they have a “donation” and show that a seller is a $ contributing member.
It may also be nice for a “trusted seller tag” that a member buyer can ask to award to a member seller when worthy of the referral.
Wanted ads are OK … just a chore to make sure they are not leading somewhere like with “wanted:your used car” without any specific price point or specifications (as an example).
Commenting on sale ads is of little help to a seller or buyer if it derails too.
Just a message here with intent to be constructive toward better selling and more confident buying on this site.
👍🏻😇👍🏻

We do enforce our 10 post rule. To clarify and perhaps I wasn't clear this scam was a new member spam messaging everyone who had a wanted ad asking them to email a guy. The scammer didn't actually circumvent our automated system.

We may look at other measures in future to restrict this behaviour. It's all a balancing act 😉

PSA

Good Advice Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread