This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Scam alert

PSA

We've been made aware of a scam going around the motoring forums with a new user private messaging people with want to buy ads. If you've received a strange message asking you to contact David or some other name directly via email we caution you strongly not to engage.

We've just removed a user SmartDriver who was propagating this scam.

As always exercise extreme caution when receiving offers that are too good to be true from fresh new members.

Dam! I was just about to add another C8 to my collection for just under MSRP! I knew it was too good to be true!

We use to have a 10 post rule but since no one ever reads the forum rules, we were inundated with new members asking why they were unable to get a classified ad to work. We opened it up for Wanted items only a few weeks back. Obviously the scammers caught on to this.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
… Obviously the scammers caught on to this …
Yes without a doubt and resulting is that confidence with trusting a decent seller is increasing to new all time lows. I am saying this from selling experience. Following rules that are put in place on sites should be mandatory. Bending rules is at the buyer’s risk and is honestly beyond my understanding … unless it is for something out of the ordinary that needs addressing or is precedence setting.
I am past breaking points at times with people who complain and especially when it’s “free” or at others’ risk … and it ends up with others be painted-with-the-same-brush.
Please enforce rules to deter scammer-type sales away … I like the posting count and perhaps a standing one-time minimal ccf donation amount in order to post a sale ad on here would not hurt. It surely might deter scammer-type selling. This would not affect anyone once they have a “donation” and show that a seller is a $ contributing member.
It may also be nice for a “trusted seller tag” that a member buyer can ask to award to a member seller when worthy of the referral.
Wanted ads are OK … just a chore to make sure they are not leading somewhere like with “wanted:your used car” without any specific price point or specifications (as an example).
Commenting on sale ads is of little help to a seller or buyer if it derails too.
Just a message here with intent to be constructive toward better selling and more confident buying on this site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rruuff Day

We do enforce our 10 post rule. To clarify and perhaps I wasn't clear this scam was a new member spam messaging everyone who had a wanted ad asking them to email a guy. The scammer didn't actually circumvent our automated system.

We may look at other measures in future to restrict this behaviour. It's all a balancing act

Good Advice Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread