Aug 25, 2019
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
2015 2LT Z51
Province
AB
As I’m sure you all have heard, Edmonton had 2 young police officers killed in the line of duty early Thursday morning by a 16 year old kid. I just couldn’t believe it happened here, but sadly, it did. As tragic as losing an officer is, it used to be very rare to hear of this in Canada, but this appears to be changing, as we have lost 7 in the past 6 months here in Canada. I am getting more and more disgusted with society these days, and wonder how much further down the toilet we I’ll go. WTF is going on these days?
I’m sure we all know the pain of losing someone that we love, but losing them to a violent act has to be so very much worse.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of these 2 officers.
Dale.

This is a really sad event indeed. The person that did this terrible deed will get off - which adds salt to the wounds of everyone that is upset about this. We have weak laws in Canada that will play out in this case once again - no deterrent!! That is why I say he will "get off" - lightly for committing such a horrible crime. My thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones of these officers as well.

This is a really sad event indeed. The person that did this terrible deed will get off - which adds salt to the wounds of everyone that is upset about this. We have weak laws in Canada that will play out in this case once again - no deterrent!! That is why I say he will "get off" - lightly for committing such a horrible crime. My thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones of these officers as well.
He won’t get off. He killed himself afterwards.

He won’t get off. He killed himself afterwards.

Well, won't have to house and feed him for 5 years. My comment was made off the cuff and still applies to our weak laws led by an idiot P.M. in J.T.
Thank you for the update!!! Is your car on the road yet?

We have a terrible justice system in Canada. This appears to be a one-off with a kid that other than mental problems had no prior record or offenses but typically, this is not the case. We have repeat offenders with B & E's, assaults', weapon infractions, etc. that are walking the streets. The police know they will be repeat offenders again but their hands are tied due to our lax justice system. Luckily this kid will not be one of them but until the punishments suit the crime, we won't see any change. Another feather in their cap for the anti gun proponents but it's not the firearm that kills people, it's the nut case who has obtained it. It will not surprise me if it comes to light that the firearm belonged to the father and he allowed a mentally unstable 16 year old access to it. We have multiple laws in place restricting both purchasing firearms legally and maintaining firearms in safe storage, so this was either an illegal firearm or the father should be restricted from owning firearms. The mentality of a criminal is such that if not punished accordingly for a crime, the criminal acts only escalate and as law abiding citizens we have no recourse without penalty. Too many homeowners have been charged for assaulting someone breaking into their home whether they beat the living $hit out of them or their dog bites them. Yes. That happened not far from me that the robber went in through the window when no one was home and the dog had a great time chewing on him. The owner was charged.

But times are changing. Couple years ago, also near me, a man came home and found his house was broken into and the man was still there. During a confrontation, the homeowner shot and killed the assailant. He was charged but the charges were dropped shortly thereafter as his life was threatened. The assailant by the way was known to police for numerous other infractions and being mentally unstable.

It is truly sad that in Canada we are blessed with a great place to live and jobs for anyone that wants to work instead of pillage, yet we still have to contend with an ever increasing criminal element that laughs at getting their hand slapped for criminal acts.

This is old and likely not true but it still rings as representative.

" This is 911. What is your emergency." There is a man carrying a gun breaking into my home". 911 -" We have alerted the police but they are unable to respond for 30 minutes. Take cover and do not confront the intruder" he is told. He phones 911 back 2 minutes later and says, " Tell the police to take their time, I shot the intruder". The police showed up within 3 minutes and caught the robber. Police officer says " I thought you said you shot him?" Man says "I thought you said you couldn't be here for 30 minutes".

Last edited:
I come from a police family and this always hits a bit close to home every time I hear this happening. My father retired years ago but it was still more common back then than people realize. He attended his share of services on the mainland. The difference now is that the news is more in your face. We have become a country divided. It did not start with the current government as much as I do not like the path our country has taken these last years. I don't claim to hate or call names when I don't agree with someone. Today we are much too quick to vent our disagreements with someone else by reducing it to insults name-calling and hate. That needs to stop so our country can heal. These killings are a symptom we need to treat sooner rather than later.

The problem I see is that, at least in Ontario, the Bob Rae NDP government closed mental health facilities and put the onus on police to handle the problem(s) of dealing with people in distress. The police were never trained for this and still are not. The sad outcome should have been foreseen. It apparently was not.

Guys, he was mentally disturbed. They had been there before for mental health concerns. We need to do more about mental health.
Every criminal that kills or has the potential to kill can be classified as mentally disturbed in my line of thinking. Is murdering someone a rational act?

Every criminal that kills or has the potential to kill can be classified as mentally disturbed in my line of thinking. Is murdering someone a rational act?
Ya, I've always felt the same. Jail is not a deterrent for the mentally ill.

My SiL is a rookie with EPS. He graduated from their most recent class about a month ago.
I have been talking with him and (finally) saw him in person just yesterday afternoon.
You can safely assume this tragedy has shook the EPS, my SiL and daughter to their core.
Our sincere, kind words DO go a long way.
Dale and friends, I will pass on your warm thoughts to Ron at my next opportunity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.