Ontario
Nov 20, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2003 C5 Convertible
Province
ON
Hi Everyone,

I just ordered a set of 16 Melling rocker arms and pushrods to quiet down the noisy valvetrain on my C5. The car has developed a noticeable ticking sound particularly when cold that becomes noticeably louder between 1800-2000 rpm over the last couple of years.

When I removed the valve covers for a quick inspection, I noticed that all of the OE rockers had 2-3mm of sideways movement and the pushrods that were visible had missing ball ends, which I assume have been hammered into the cup of the rocker arms.

The car has ~200K km on it, does not burn a drop of oil, still has excellent fuel economy and no misfires on any of the cylinders have been detected by my ODB2 scanner. I think this damage is partly the result of frozen condensation under the valve covers from being winter driven and stored outside at sub -30degC temperatures over the past few years.

Has anyone else discovered this type of damage upon diagnosing the common valvetrain clatter noises in their 1997-2020 corvettes that use GM 12681275 & 10238852 rocker arms & pushrods?

As all Corvette Engines are built in St. Catharines, ON., my impression is that there should be a wealth of technical expertise here :)

I have not noticed this with my C5 at 150,000km, but haven’t opened it up to look. But I only drive in summer. Most likely I won’t open it up until something fails, then I’ll look for an LS3 for a sweet little upgrade.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I advised the manufactuer of my Tech2 clone of what additional hardware & software they need in order to identify this failure, it looks like car owners may be able to purchase their next generation scanner with this feature.

Again, anyone with some pointers on this repair is welcome to comment

Pulling off a valve cover for inspection is a very easy task with your vehicle that any mechanically adept person can do in less than an hour with only a socket set.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread