GUYS!! The main issue pertaining to this original post is the repetitive taxation by a provincial government on an item that has already been taxed when new. This is unfair and usurious, having no purpose than to glean money from individuals without having to provide a service or product in return. In other words...legal theft! You can't do this with a refrigerator, a lawn mower, or a bicycle, but you can get away with this with a used motor vehicle. While the demand to have an inspection done on an out of province vehicle is not unreasonable, the requirement to have an evaluation performed and the tax based on that evaluation is. This is an imprecise calculation, as one evaluator's opinion could be thousands of dollars different than that of another's. Who is to determine a true value, a definite price, that can be put on a vehicle, that says you must pay a percentage of that value as a tax to obtain the privilege of ownership. In the purchase of an older vehicle, one that has changed ownership many times in it's life, taxes have been paid numerous times on the same entity, those taxes always going to the same recipient, regardless of the depreciation or accrual of that vehicle.This is the crux of my complaint, and we as collectors and restorers must come together and put an end to this threat against the hobby. It's not just Corvettes, it's all and any marques that car guys across this country enjoy, buying and restoring or modifying, and help drive the aftermarket car parts industry, which...HELLO....helps fuel the government by paying tax on those parts! We must go bother our local mayors, our provincial representatives, our premiers, to react and eliminate or heavily modify this unjust taxation.

Not really, I don't think welfare fraud is a big factor. It isn't right but it's not a significant factor in your taxes. It's the salaries, benefits and pensions for the condescending managers and clerks at the SAQ, the army of paper-pushers at the CNESST trying to apply the highest rates to flower shops and dog spas , the cabal of deputy ministers living like kings. The HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of government teat suckers who vastly outnumber the entire welfare role. Some might say they constitute another welfare role...

BTW I played a gig with a band in Farnham back in 1975.
I might of been there. Was it at the Montcalm Hotel? You have to converse with Rruuff about past experiences.
As to the rest, nothing like bureaucracy. It is self perpetuating.
They are always at work trying to increase their workforce so that they have more administration.
What is your SAQ? Here it is the Liquor commission.
As to the fraud, no it is not wide spread but never the less it is not being addressed. We had one provincial minister here who was going after that until he was told to shut it down. The optics weren't good.
There are plenty of reasons that people can deserve our helping hand. Unfortunately we mostly hear of those who are on the dole. Like I said I don't have anything against welfare, EI and all the social programs that we as Canadians support. Mostly is the checks and balances that are not being set right so that our tax dollars are not wasted.

Reactions: 12cents
As a “government teat sucker”, I thank you for your contribution..... Just out of curiosity how do your roads get plowed, your bridges get built, your water gets treated, your poop gets flushed away, etc...without these hundreds of thousands of government teat suckers? Gross generalizations are usually just that....gross.

• Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
GUYS!! The main issue pertaining to this original post is the repetitive taxation by a provincial government on an item that has already been taxed when new. This is unfair and usurious, having no purpose than to glean money from individuals without having to provide a service or product in return. In other words...legal theft! You can't do this with a refrigerator, a lawn mower, or a bicycle, but you can get away with this with a used motor vehicle. While the demand to have an inspection done on an out of province vehicle is not unreasonable, the requirement to have an evaluation performed and the tax based on that evaluation is. This is an imprecise calculation, as one evaluator's opinion could be thousands of dollars different than that of another's. Who is to determine a true value, a definite price, that can be put on a vehicle, that says you must pay a percentage of that value as a tax to obtain the privilege of ownership. In the purchase of an older vehicle, one that has changed ownership many times in it's life, taxes have been paid numerous times on the same entity, those taxes always going to the same recipient, regardless of the depreciation or accrual of that vehicle.This is the crux of my complaint, and we as collectors and restorers must come together and put an end to this threat against the hobby. It's not just Corvettes, it's all and any marques that car guys across this country enjoy, buying and restoring or modifying, and help drive the aftermarket car parts industry, which...HELLO....helps fuel the government by paying tax on those parts! We must go bother our local mayors, our provincial representatives, our premiers, to react and eliminate or heavily modify this unjust taxation.
Lived through that.
Company I worked for out of Edmonton bought a brand new car which i drove back to QC. Then the insurance company said they wanted it plated in QC as I was based here and my driver permit was here. Sound enough logic although I told them it is probably based on the ownership of the car and not the driver. At any rate I checked out beforehand what I needed to do to get the plate. Guess what, I had to have the car evaluated even though I had the invoice for a brand new car. So off I go to get it evaluated by the gov agency. Pick a number and wait to get called. They tell me that the car is too new and does not show in their records. OK, so off to the license bureau just down the hall. Pick a number and wait in line. They tell me that no, I need an evaluation and print me the article. So back to the other bureau and pick a number and wait in line. Had to show the guy the article before he would consider it. He came back a few minutes later with a written evaluation very similar to the bill of sale. So back to the license bureau, pick a number and wait. Clerk looks at the evaluation and then asks the company I work for. Tell them and then they asked where it is located. AB. So they tell me that they can not plate it as the company has no address or division in QC. So 4/5 hours running about to be back at square one and tell the ins company it can not be plated in QC.
This could have been rectified a lot faster if the license bureau would have accepted the bill of sale as proof of value. Not the employees fault but bureaucracy none the less.
Wasted a day of my time, expenses to the company and a waste of time for the gov employees in two bureaus. Who is at fault? I put it back to the ins company not doing their homework.

I do sometimes find it amusing that some folks think 100K salary for someone with generally 4 yrs or more educaton is significant..it is not...While I do agree that the bureaucracy translates into far too many middle and upper mgmt admin public sector positions, the average non mgmt public sector salary is not competitive with the private sector other than the defined benefit pension plans, which will eventually become extinct.

My son is a Heavy equip tech with Toromont Cat and despite a learning disability, with 18 mths of trade school and a good work ethic, he has been exceeding 100k since he was 20 yrs old and paying into a pension.. A new teacher with the REQUIRED 6 years of University in Ontario (read$150k cost) will supply teach for a few years and will not hit 100k for 10 years+..

My 23 yr old daughter took Computer Science and in 2020 her total income with bonus was $225k.

Anyone who cries poor or whines about the public sector I respond simply, if you are physically capable, get off your ass, go back to school, be prepared to GO where the jobs are, and work hard...It is literally that simple.
We are all worth more than we are getting paid!
But that is human nature.
My youngest son did not like doing his homework on the weekend. After several months i was getting tired of the cajoling and arguing and "making" him complete the assignments. I finally told him that if he did not want my help I would back off. I mentioned that there is always a place for people with a pick and shovel. Might not make much but it is good honest work. That is when he decided that a pick and shovel was not quite what he envisioned. Had no problems helping him with his homework after that.
A university education does not mean you are a good worker and an secondary degree does not mean you are not capable of learning.

As a “government teat sucker”, I thank you for your contribution..... Just out of curiosity how do your roads get plowed, your bridges get built, your water gets treated, your poop gets flushed away, etc...without these hundreds of thousands of government teat suckers? Gross generalizations are usually just that....gross.
I'm not saying ALL gov't employees are not needed, I'm saying there's way too many getting paid too much money mostly as bureaucracy - paper pushers. Like I said in the first post, more paper pushers in the health system than doctors or nurses. I didn't say, as you are alluding, that doctors or nurses are teat suckers. We are cursed with an overwhelming, self-serving bureaucracy that is sucking the life from the middle class while the lower class starves and the rich get richer. Yes, I also believe the rich and the corporatocracy need to pay more tax, in some cases a LOT more tax. But not to grow the bureaucracy.

And this is not really off-topic, the ridiculous and border-line criminal tax on vehicle resales was never proposed by any politician (that would have been the definition of political suicide), it was the product of bureaucratic teat suckers dreaming of ways to suck more and harder. Then they hit upon the fact that some cars were increasing in value, came up with the infuriating valuation and inspection scams and hired a whole new cadre of teat suckers to "administer" it all.

And because you raised it: I have a 1.6km long driveway that goes off the end of a rural side road. When it snows big (which it often does here in the Kootenay - like the 20 cm dumps twice in the last week) I plow it with my F-350 with the 10" Arctic blade. Plow alone weighs over 1200 lbs. Also, more to the question, I often plow out the rural road because the tax-funded plow won't show up for 2 or more days, once when we got 50cm it was 5 days. I might take issue with the guy driving the plow making $55/hour but it's more related to lack of funding for on-the-ground services. Because the administrators sitting in warm offices at big, important looking desks need much more than the $55/hour the grunt in the plow gets and aren't picking up a shovel anytime soon...

Oh, I treat and pump my own water and treat my own poop, thank-you very much. Still smarting from the cost of the permits, the interminable wait and the condescending twits I had to endure in order to do that which. of course, went into the pocket of some teat sucker...

• Agree
Reactions: LE BARON
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.