May 24, 2015
VetteCoins
Car
1978 Corvette
What is the size of the wrench do I need to remove the 2 rear bolts that holds up the tire carrier.

I did some googling and they say an 11/16 but it doesn't fit at all. 18mm is too loose and a 17 doesn't fit also.

What a pain in the ass lol

When I made the change to 17" wheels I took the old spare out and use it now as a small trunk for a couple of gym bags. When not using it with gym bags I just put some old pillows in to stop it from rattling. Having a convertible and running with the roof down doesn't leave much storage room inside.

Nice to see you found the right wrench! That's a pretty good idea for the tire carrier gdh. Can you get to the carrier from the top or do you have to get to it from underneath to access it?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It takes a few seconds to lower or raise as it is just a bolt that slides into the groove to hold the bottom up.
I think that GM meant the spare tire to be used as part of its rear end impact safety system in that the tire was meant to absorb some of the blow. No way that would come close to passing any of todays rear end safety tests.

Hows your car painted? Interesting Red and black combo going on. Is it factory for the back end to be painted that way?

image.jpeg
Car had been raced during the 70's, I think repainted in the 80's.The original hood was broken at a track when off the car. I've lowered the rear to narrow the gap since that photo was taken.

Reactions: buckhorn76
image.jpeg
Thank-you for the compliments, I moved from 911's in the 80's and early 90's to this. Mine could use a new paint job but I have too much fun hauling through the backroads of Hockley Valley and the Mulmur Hills to worry about a paint chip. 2 summers ago we swapped out the Lt-1/Zr-1 engine that I rebuilt in '01 for a ZZ383. Debated for a year whether to go the ls route but in the end I just preferred my engine bay to look vintage. I liked the black paint that the engine comes in and left it that way. Btw I rec'd the GM Perf goodwill rebate for $920 cdn ($700 US) last Thursday as this deluxe version (450hp/450tq) and the ZZ5 engine were 15 hp/tq less than advertised.

Gdh, we did a cruise to Niagara Falls last year with our friend Stan (zeeman28a). From NF we went to my SIL's in Hockley Valley spent the night and drove to Wasaga Beach the following morning via Airport Road. Great late summer cruise and I know there are many incredible back roads in your area.:thumbs:

Great looking car and congrats on the rebate. I am sure you can find that 15 foot pounds of torque somewhere for that money.:Biggrin:

image.jpeg image.jpeg I remember readng about the NF cruise you guys went on, we go on vintage corvette cruises taking backroads to Owen Sound, Collingwood, Port Dover NF, Muskoka, Goderich, Tobermory etc. Most on the CF don't know that there were 3 of us who got the Cdn section setup over there. We used to be part of The Great Lakes Section, no Cdn only. There were so many of us C3 owners that would clog up the C3 Gen'l forum with cruises etc that they finally relented. I made the first post over on it. We have a group of 4 couples in the area that head out on cruises '(59, '66, '72 '56 wagon/'94 vette) some vintage cruise ins and shows during the spring, summer, fall a few winter events/lunches.
Next time you are at your SIL if you want I'll take you on a tour. All I need to bring the hp/tq up is a new set of roller rockers ($230 US) already have the 160* thermostat installed and peak comes in @ 5500 rpm vs prev advertised 4500 rpm.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.