Jul 26, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2005 C6
Hello Everyone !

Cleaning the original factory wheels on my 2005 C6 coupe, I had a short laps of sanity by grabbing a kitchen sponge to remove some of the stickier grime (yes! don't remind me how stupid that was :Banghead: :Banghead: ). Now the wheels have swirls of light micro scratches all over from the abrasive sponge. Not bad but I see them and that's bad enough.

What can I do? Can I polish or buff them out somehow? Maybe someone has some nifty ideas before I do the wrong thing again. Here is a pic of the exact wheels I have on there. Thanks a lot !

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 20.02.01.png

2 products come to mind.

1) Autosol.

2) Flitz.

I've used both. They are very similar.
If you try Flitz, maybe try the polish in the tooth paste tube. I still have a half tube from the one I bought in the 70's.

Ok.... I lied.... a third (but not not be up for challenge) is Nevr Dull. It'll be your best friend for the wheels after the polishing is done though.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: MikeysZ06
Adams Metal Polish. Two parts A and B or 1 and 2 cannot recall. Use it on my CCW wheels, lots of work but it is magic. There is an Adams dealer in Winnipeg who is pretty good to work with.

As Axe suggested the other work pretty well so you have some ideas now.

Good luck

They are most likely clear coated. You may need to do a cut polish on these with a random orbital buffer. If you have no experience doing this I would have a body shop or wheel repair center do this for you. If not done correctly you will burn thru the clear and then you will really be in trouble. I believe this should cost $200 or less for all 4 rims at a shop. Best of luck.

Reactions: Vegas1500
Hello Everyone !

Cleaning the original factory wheels on my 2005 C6 coupe, I had a short laps of sanity by grabbing a kitchen sponge to remove some of the stickier grime (yes! don't remind me how stupid that was :Banghead: :Banghead: ). Now the wheels have swirls of light micro scratches all over from the abrasive sponge. Not bad but I see them and that's bad enough.

What can I do? Can I polish or buff them out somehow? Maybe someone has some nifty ideas before I do the wrong thing again. Here is a pic of the exact wheels I have on there. Thanks a lot !

View attachment 32700
For the cost of these wheels i would look for a specialty wheel shop who would do a professional like job...

Hello Everyone !

View attachment 32700

I have similar wheels on my C4. I think they're from a 2002 car. Anyway, a shot of wd-40 and a paper towel always removes sticker glue or tar, etc. I even find that tire dressing that gets on the wheels accidentally is a good wheel polish.
IMG_1313.jpg

Since from all the stuff recommended I only had Nevrdull readily on hand, I thought to give that a try first. It actually worked pretty well removing all the swirls of micro-scratches (see pic). Learned my lesson though......

@sharkface: I think they used these wheels as stock item for quite a few years. Love the black on charcoal....thks for posting the pic.

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 19.01.34.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread