Casual User
Jun 21, 2009
Agassiz
VetteCoins
Car
2016 Z51 3LT
Province
BC
So my 2016 C7 has the carbon roof package with I assume has a clear coating of some sort ,but the factory Crystal Red racing stripe is over the whole car including the carbon roof panel.Why they put stripes over the carbon and transparent roof panels is beyond me.So I want to remove the stripes from the roof panel and was going to use a heat gun amd peel them off just like on a painted panel.Any issues doing this other then not getting too hot,on a carbon Roof ,assuming the coating is just a clear coat?

Reactions: Vegas1500
The carbon is clear coated just like the paint. You will be fine...I would start with a hair dryer. If you use a heat gun, be careful as they can get very hot. There’s a point when the decal gets to hot to be removed effectively

Yes I will be careful with the heat gun.Some videos say between 150F and 175F is the max needed in most cases and I have a temp scanner to monitor.Also some say just to use hot water to heat things up also.

So my 2016 C7 has the carbon roof package with I assume has a clear coating of some sort ,but the factory Crystal Red racing stripe is over the whole car including the carbon roof panel.Why they put stripes over the carbon and transparent roof panels is beyond me.So I want to remove the stripes from the roof panel and was going to use a heat gun amd peel them off just like on a painted panel.Any issues doing this other then not getting too hot,on a carbon Roof ,assuming the coating is just a clear coat?
I would suggest bringing your vehicle to a reputable detail (aftermarket) shop that does pinstriping/window tint etc....this is what I will be doing with my vehicle to remove my black racing stripe from my clear roof panel (C7 Z06)....simply my thoughts and good luck!

I would not suggest a heat gun unless your familiar with it, hair dryer will work it will just take more time, but you have zero chance of damaging anything with a dryer.
It is quite simple to do as a diy, just take your time and you may need to do some swirl correction afterwards but it is a simple task just time consuming.

Btw, did you just pick your car up? I swear your car looks very familiar from when I cruise the sale sections, think it was listed in autotrader *Edit* noticed your other posts, so it is the car I saw lol nice purchase, love the aero kit on it and the white flows nice.

Last edited:
Ok Used a heat gun held about 2 inches from stripe and just kept moving it until the stripe was pretty warm to the touch.Used my plastic razor tool to start and it peeled off with no issues.Had to re heat some areas but all in all, easy pesy.Now the edge where the stripes stopped along its length had some residue that came off easy with WD40 ,but the clear coat on these vettes must be soft as there is a fine line groove were the stripe edge ran.Most of it polished out with a little work thouigh.
Yes this vette was on Auto Trader in Duncan for a couple months before I bought it.I was not a fan of the full stripe as it looked a little boy racer to me,but thats just me,so I removed the Exposed Carbon roof portion and I think it looks a lot better.Also what really attracted me was the body colour vents and rear facsia.Going in for a OP ceramic coating in early March.

Ok Used a heat gun held about 2 inches from stripe and just kept moving it until the stripe was pretty warm to the touch.Used my plastic razor tool to start and it peeled off with no issues.Had to re heat some areas but all in all, easy pesy.Now the edge where the stripes stopped along its length had some residue that came off easy with WD40 ,but the clear coat on these vettes must be soft as there is a fine line groove were the stripe edge ran.Most of it polished out with a little work thouigh.
Yes this vette was on Auto Trader in Duncan for a couple months before I bought it.I was not a fan of the full stripe as it looked a little boy racer to me,but thats just me,so I removed the Exposed Carbon roof portion and I think it looks a lot better.Also what really attracted me was the body colour vents and rear facsia.Going in for a OP ceramic coating in early March.

If your comfortable, wet polish it, and will come out rather quick. Glad the job went well.

I have to agree, the slight mods done to the body and paint work is what caught my eye as well and why I remember your car. Now you need to post some pictures of the stripes removed so we can all see!

Here is a pic and my other Toy.

Attachments

• IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 29
Are you planning to more the strip entirely, or your happy with just removing it from the roof line? Nice bird as well!
No thats it for now.May remove the stripe from the nose to the hood vent but I am getting use to it as is.I will remove if I decide to add Grand sport fender slashes

No thats it for now.May remove the stripe from the nose to the hood vent but I am getting use to it as is.I will remove if I decide to add Grand sport fender slashes
I like the look now if your going to keep the stripes, think it looks better than GS slashes would. I also think it would look great all white, but the stripes do look good no without roof lines.

• Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread