Why did you clean your MAF for? When you cleaned it, was there some kind of screen in it yet? Did you let it sit overnight before installation? MAF is very fragile and if you're not careful you'll have some issues as you are having right now. Perhaps by cleaning it again and let it sit for 24 hrs. might solve the issue. Good luck.
I cleaned it because it was on my list of things to do, and yes, the screen was in it. I let the MAF sit about 30 minutes...that cleaner dries very fast, only needed to wait 10 minutes before reinstallation. My issue is not with the MAF anyway...its with the throttle body/sensors

I have replied to your dilemma previously, but if you are still having lack of power, and erratic rpms , I think you damaged the throttle body and/or the MAF. If there are wires going to the throttle body, they have sensors or some kind of a mechanism that is internal to the throttle body. These report to the main computer and make the C5 perform, or not perform correctly. Obviously it is damaged internally . Don't feel too badly about causing the issue by cleaning the throttle body or MAF because it or they must have been faulty before you did the cleaning. The cleaning unfortunately made is worse. If you wind up having to spend the the money on a new throttle body, you might as well get a remanufactured GM or just get a larger one from any high-performance shop. A larger throttle body does make a big difference.

The MAF has many issues that can go bad. Any capacitor could be bad or the circuit board could be cracked. A hairline crack could cause it. I had this issue with a Saab 900 turbo and the problem was the throttle body. I paid 1500.00 to have the problem diagnosed and a new part installed.

If your car has aftermarket exhaust, the oxygen sensor may need to be changed to a Y band oxygen sensor than a narrow band one. A Y band oxygen sensor requires an external gauge set up in the cockpit of your car. It is possible the oxygen sensor is the whole issue. It is a lot less expensive to replace than the MAF or the throttle body, it may be worth a shot. I wouldn't think the issue is that you need a Y band sensor, a couple of stock new ones should do the trick...

I have replied to your dilemma previously, but if you are still having lack of power, and erratic rpms , I think you damaged the throttle body and/or the MAF. If there are wires going to the throttle body, they have sensors or some kind of a mechanism that is internal to the throttle body. These report to the main computer and make the C5 perform, or not perform correctly. Obviously it is damaged internally . Don't feel too badly about causing the issue by cleaning the throttle body or MAF because it or they must have been faulty before you did the cleaning. The cleaning unfortunately made is worse. If you wind up having to spend the the money on a new throttle body, you might as well get a remanufactured GM or just get a larger one from any high-performance shop. A larger throttle body does make a big difference.

The MAF has many issues that can go bad. Any capacitor could be bad or the circuit board could be cracked. A hairline crack could cause it. I had this issue with a Saab 900 turbo and the problem was the throttle body. I paid 1500.00 to have the problem diagnosed and a new part installed.

If your car has aftermarket exhaust, the oxygen sensor may need to be changed to a Y band oxygen sensor than a narrow band one. A Y band oxygen sensor requires an external gauge set up in the cockpit of your car. It is possible the oxygen sensor is the whole issue. It is a lot less expensive to replace than the MAF or the throttle body, it may be worth a shot. I wouldn't think the issue is that you need a Y band sensor, a couple of stock new ones should do the trick...
It might be the MAF but wouldn't I get a code for it? There is no aftermarket anything on this car. I'll see if my buddy can get it to come around with his scanner, or at least point me in the right direction. If I have to replace the throttle body then so be it, but I would rather not spend that money if i dont have to.

Update #2

All's good in the hood again. My buddy came by today and had a few tries at resetting the codes with the scanner but they kept coming back. After about half an hour he figured out that a couple of the readings of the throttle position were not in sync. Took the throttle body off again and as it tuns out, when I put the throttle body back together after cleaning, I put the butterfly in bass ackwarards. Took it off and turned it around put the throttle body back on and when he turned the car on again the codes went out instantly. Who knew that the edge of the butterfly is tapered ever so slightly to fit the contour of the throttle body itself.
The moral of this story, pay attention to how things come apart so they can be put back together in the right order...the wife said that's it for the "fixing" projects for a while. :angelic: Thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.