Aug 16, 2010
Kitchener
VetteCoins
Car
2004 Commemorative
So my Rear View Mirror Map lights and Auto Dimming are not working. The green power light for the auto-dimming doesn't turn on. The vanity, glove box and under hood lamp work, and oddly enough the amber light works so It's not Fuse 2. So do the side view mirrors. The reverse lights work so I don't think it's Fuse 21.

Electronics 101 says check voltages. Grey and Brown both show 12 volts when the car is running. Unless I screwed up some how the wire directly next to brown also had 12 volts, until I started the car... While re-checking I wasn't getting anything. The other wires nothing.

Suggestions?

Sounds like it its Fuse 21. Pull it out and inspect

Here is the schematic of the mirror

InsideRearViewMirror.jpg

Last edited:
So I pulled the fuses anyways to check and they're fine. Fuse 21 and Fuse 2 are good still.

I realized at least one of the lines coming out is not going to have any voltage after I wrote this last night. It's for the side mirror.

Anyways, since the fuses are fine and it appears the voltages to it are good (tho the diagram's don't have voltages on them for reference...) I kinda suspect the mirror it self is dead since it has soft latching switches. Heh anyone got any shots of the insides of one of these?

IT LIVES - on life support

So I needed a new multimeter and I got it from UPS this morning. So back to Step 1: CHECK VOLTAGES
I took apart the mirror and started tracing it out. Oh whats this? This resistor goes from 11.83v to a couple hundred milivolts? NO! BAD RESISTOR! You don't do that!
Jumped the bitch and it woke up like there was no problem.

Once I can replace it we'll see how it goes! :D

Good news. I fixed the mirror.
Bad news. Im not sure it's going to last so Ill order up a new one, at least knowing that the mirror is bad now.
More bad news. I'll admit it, I was super careful reinstalling it following all the advice I could find and read in a service manual snippet... STILL CRACKED THE WINDSHEILD.

Ouch. I did that one time changing a wiper blade on a car believe it or not. Wiper arm slipped out of my hand and struck the windshield. Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

Ouch. I did that one time changing a wiper blade on a car believe it or not. Wiper arm slipped out of my hand and struck the windshield. Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

It's a good thing I generally live by two words "s**t happens". I'm typically not so pissed if *I* do something stupid, now if somebody else did it I'd be livid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread